Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of metal prepping do i need to do before welding in my trunk floors and extensions  and I plan on using the no weld epoxy on the quarters with a few spot welds? o----o<>

G

·
i'm no welding expert,and their are a few here but if you grind down to bare metal you have to prep it with zinc oxide to protect it.a product i use is "metal ready"from por 15.it's like 15 bucks for enough to do several jobs.

·
Registered
847 Posts
i like to clean, scratch, and epoxy prime all my pieces first. i use weld-thru primer on the areas to be welded.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
593 Posts
eldubb440 said:
i like to clean, scratch, and epoxy prime all my pieces first. i use weld-thru primer on the areas to be welded.
Can I ask? Why would you prime it first? Isn't it just wasted paint cause you'll have to redo it after your welding? Or does it protect the metal better? Just curious, I wanted to ask the first time you posted this pic, but I was afraid.... :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
good question pink.......my parts arrived bare metal, it may be weeks before i prime after welding. also, there are areas that wont be accessable after they are put together; such as the lower parts of trunk extesions, ect . i wont have to reprime the whole thing, just the welds after they are grinded. 8) ...... this is what i say to rust fullmoon

·
Registered
593 Posts
Makes sence.... doh

·
Registered
847 Posts
in this particular case.....i drilled holes thru the epoxied piece, and welded to the frame rail which was primed with weld-thru primer. no biggie........the epoxy burns away near the weld anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ELDUBB440 IS RIGHT. EPOXY PRIME ALL THE PARTS BEFORE INSALLATION. THIS WAY YOU COVER AREAS THAT MIGHT NOT BE ACCESABLE ONCE THEY ARE INSTALLED. IF THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THIS WHEN THESE CARS WERE NEW,WE WOLDNT BE PUTTING IN FLOORS NOW!

·
Registered
365 Posts
DartAttack

that no weld epoxy method is good for non structural,but a unitized body like the a-body all the panels are structural.
i might use it for filling in a door handle or key hole though,filler doors ect,but not on a quarter panel unless it is using a full frame.

the directions are so hard to follow in practice that the warranty is void before the job hits the road.

but to my knowledge Mopars are all unitized except the trucks and the Jeeps.

·
Registered
847 Posts
signet said:
DartAttack

that no weld epoxy method is good for non structural,but a unitized body like the a-body all the panels are structural.
i might use it for filling in a door handle or key hole though,filler doors ect,but not on a quarter panel unless it is using a full frame.

the directions are so hard to follow in practice that the warranty is void before the job hits the road.

but to my knowledge Mopars are all unitized except the trucks and the Jeeps.
[]{} i didnt realize he was referring to an "adhesive" epoxy. when i mention epoxy, i am referring to primer only. these cars need to be welded together. sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
eldubb440

your method of panel prep is good no doubt in my mind,but no-one mentioned the other part of his question about that panel adhesive.

·
Registered
847 Posts
signet said:
eldubb440

your method of panel prep is good no doubt in my mind,but no-one mentioned the other part of his question about that panel adhesive.
i think "tof" was onto it.........i misread the initial question...... its all good, at least you and him were on the ball. thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.