Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know....I know it sounds like the fronts need to be bled again right? well it's actually not my mopar that's the problem, it's a friends ratty 78 Scumaro. The condition of the brake components is not great, but i went over there after work and helped him bleed the brakes again (he already tried it he said). Nothing changed, we thought it could be the master cylinder. Changed that and bench bled it first, we thought it could be the proportioning valve so we changed that for another used one he had. NO CHANGE AGAIN. I'm reasonably sure that all the air is out of the lines yet the back still locks up.

I realize that this is a Mopar site and you all have been very helpful with my project. I thought if someone had a similar experience with their Mopar or had a Chevy in the past (before they saw the light) that they'd be able to help.

Something about that angled master cylinder seems cheesy to me, I'll understand if nobody wants to help lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
444 Posts
What year is it? Like Jim Said you need to jack it up and put it on stands and check them. Does it have drums or discs up front? Check the hoses to see if they swell when you hit the brakes. Dave

·
Registered
365 Posts
check drum diameter.

grease oil and fluid will make it lock up.

Generic Motors made a mistake on line design.
they made a clamp in the middle of the line for mounting purposes.
this clamp is as tight as the one used to hold the end fittings.
when this clamp gets corroded it actually gets tighter and will restrict fluid flow in the hose.
result: sticking or locking or non functioning brakes on left or right front or both rear.

this line problem i reffer to was from a 1989 Camaro.

G

·
I'm having a similar problem with my 73 Scamp. The rear was locking up. My rear brakes were worn so I replaced everything on my rear brakes. My booster was leaking too so I replaced it with a re-manufactured unit. It's not as bad as it was but it is still way too touchy. when you step on the brake it's like nothing... nothing... nothing... EVERYTHING! This only really applies to the rears grabbing. Could it be the pushrod adjustment on the booster/master cylinder?

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread. **(*) I just figured since we have similar issues my story may be of some help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You could try re-adjusting the adjusters on the rear drums, have you tried that Green?

G

·
Are you saying loosen or tighten the adjusters? I always adjusted rear brakes by spinning the tire by hand and adjusting until i felt a tad bit of drag.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I figured loosen, but your way sounds pretty good. Maybe your front hoses are swelling?

·
Registered
404 Posts
the rear might be adjusted 2 tight. pop the drum off and see about backing off on the tension on the shoes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts