Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the backing plates and all that other stuff from the 7.??? rearend fit on the 8.75??? We have the 8.75 rearend to go under the 68...and was just wanting to know if the parts interchange..

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
rharveysr said:
Will the backing plates and all that other stuff from the 7.??? rearend fit on the 8.75???  We have the 8.75 rearend to go under the 68...and was just wanting to know if the parts interchange..

Thanks
Rick
I don't believe the backing plates from the 7.25 willl fit the 8 3/4. However, if you go to the nearest junkyard and find brake parts off a 8.25 or even parts off a 8.75 truck, they will work.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The backing plates have a different bolt pattern and won't interchange, but I used my shoes and drums from the 7 1/4 on the 8 3/4. This is assuming both rears are A body small bolt pattern. B body 8 3/4's have a different offset on the backing plates.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 8.75 is suppose to be from an A-body car...I do know what the length is correct..How do I tell if its an A-body or ?????

Rick

·
Registered
90 Posts
As long as it is 51'' from end to end, and the spring perches should be about 47" from end to end, it is an A-Body.

Are you sticking with small bolt pattern? I am trying to sell some axles!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the plan right now is to stick with the small bolt pattern. We have a set of steel wheels and dog dish caps that may go on it. The back wheels will be widened with the correct offset once the mini tubs/springs are done.

Rick

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didnt know the center housing had to be narrowed to mini tub it??? The backing plates off of a 8.75 truck ...wouldnt they be for the 5 lug setup. What truck or car used the 8.75 small bolt pattern???

Thanks
Rick and Rickey Jr.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
the truck brakes should be what you need .... I beilive they didn't change the bolt pattern on the truck till 85 or 86 so any 8 3/4 from a truck should have the right brakes ... make sure you get the E -brake spreader bar and lever when you get the plates and drums

o----o<>

G

·
You can't use any other brake backing plates if you plan to stay with the A body 4 inch bolt pattern. Stock A body axles have a different offset and require the A body backing plates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts