Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres something i never did before.........my R/T "Bulge" hood had nice straight skin, but the frame was shot; so i carefully removed the skin, and a frame from a flat hood. even did a test fit. i think it will go back together with no problem. i blasted and primed the new frame, im gonna use rust bullet on the back side of the skin. this hood should be around long after we are all gone....... both hoods were basically worthless when i started, i wonder what a 100% rust free bulge hood is worth? i only have 6 hours in it so far.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: building a hood

Isn't it funny how easy somethings end up being that you never tried before ?   Nice job !   I  have saved a couple hoods that way !
Can't wait to see it done.

SIKPUP ;D

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

Nice work. I've skinned doors and had the frames powdercoated while they were apart. They'll be here forever.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

i planned on doing that with my 68 power bulge hood ,but when i removed the frame i realized the skin was swiss cheese along the whole back edge. my only alternative was to cut out th ebulges and one day weld them to the hood that SIKPUP gave me. its nice when you can save somethignt hat is otherwise junk. like my 67 that i had to clip.

·
Registered
278 Posts

eldubb What are you using to glue it back together? And how do you keep the glue from sucking it down and making a pucker? Or is it not glue and just a seam sealer type stuff to keep it from viberating .I have never had one apart just assumed it was glue.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BIG DOG said:
eldubb What are you using to glue it back together? And how do you keep the glue from sucking it down and making a pucker? Or is it not glue and just a seam sealer type stuff to keep it from viberating .I have never had one apart just assumed it was glue.
im gonna leave the "blobs" of the old adhesive on the frame. ill put a dab of seam sealer or something on top of them. the skin seems to be very rigid due to the bulge and body lines stamped into it. im hoping it turns out as good as it appears its going to

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cleaned the excess rust off the back side of the skin............2 coats of rust bullet.......... 3 dollar tube of construction adhesive ( used maybe 50 cents worth ;D ) ..........and slapped her together........... im gonna bolt it to the car before i tack weld the edges.......... looks like a winner -0*(

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SIKPUP said:
Lets see the top side !

Looks good,
SIKPUP ;D
patience, my brother {O

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm in the parts gathering mode right now.
i'm going to skin a dart hood with a 'cuda skin from the 70's.
i have the 'cuda hood, still looking for a 70 dart hood.
i'm not a body man, i hope i can get it together.
i'm interested to see how your turns out before i try mine.
looks like it's gonna be sweet!
longarm

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BBLM23 said:
Do you want to buy another one?
no thanks, this one turned out fine! ..................well here it is. looks like a winner. i had previously replaced the cowl panel and was waiting till i did the hood to finish. everything lines up real nice. moving on....... 0/

·
Registered
95 Posts
   You should be able to cover that little ugly bump up with a nice bolt on six pack scoop ! ;D LOL LOL LOL ctfgt

Just kidding eldubb ,   Nice job on saving a rare hood and saving some $$  -0*( -0*( Looks Good !

SIKPUP ;D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SIKPUP said:
You should be able to cover that little ugly bump up with a nice bolt on six pack scoop !
bbat ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Man Eldubb, I need a copy of your metal skills.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ha, its not over yet.......shes stripped and ready for prime

1 - 20 of 39 Posts