Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 duster has bad bumpsteer issues. whoever owned the car before me really raised the rear of the car with huge shackles. if i lower the rear, will i have less bumpsteer problems? i dont know much about suspension, so it might be a dumb question, but i really want to fix it one way or another! thanks, -Evan

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, it may not be bumpsteer, but it is hard to keep straight, especially on a bad road. like i said, i dont know much about suspension. thanks, -Evan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i didnt even think about caster. that makes perfect sense, though. from what i understand about caster, if it is negative, the car will wander, right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know, but i thought if the angle of the whole car was changed (shackled up), it might change the steering/suspension angle up front. but i'm just now learning about suspension and steering and that type of thing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
allright, thanks man. i'm pretty sure that the caster angle is the problem. i took off my front wheels today and just by eyeballing the balljoints, the upper looks at least 1/2 and inch in front of the lower one, which should be a lot of negative caster. i ordered some special offset bushings from moog that will allow for more positve caster adjustment. i hope it will do the trick. i also lowered my rear a lot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Put the stock shackles back in it with decent rear springs and set the front end ride height to the proper setting (most important thing to do is set ride height BEFORE an alignment is done) , get it aligned to spec, and all of your handling/steering issues should be neutralized. Kicking them in the butt like that really screws up the handling.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, its pretty bad. when the new t-bars come in, i'll install them, set the ride height, put in the offset UCA bushings and get it alligned. I've already lowered the rear back down. thanks, -Evan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts