Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I will be welding some panels on my dart this weekend , I will be butt welding the panels. is there some type of spacers that you put betwen the panels to keep them spaced apart, for proper penatration? Thanks Darren

G

·
hi darren, I would use .023 wire and small spot tack ( every 2"or 3" then when all tacks are done start welding back to the next tack,and go to the next tack and weld back to the weld try to weld small beads .I don't like down hill welding with mig but on thin body parts it will penatrate good. lol weld fast but take your time. {O less heat and do not use alot of metal (wire), you can just butt it up. I like to raidus the corners alittle. MAX

G

·
less is  better,         {O .023 would be better than .030 , .030  would be better than .045        doh     and .045 would be better than .030 fluxcore  -0*(

·
Registered
459 Posts
Darren said:
I will be using .030 wire is there a problem with that   Thanks  Darren
Yes, go get a spool of .023, thinner wire=less voltage required=less heat=less warping....Fyi Home Depot carries the small spools of .023 and the contact tips to go with it depending on the gun your using...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys I will get a spool of .023, should I be concerned about the welds on the inside of the panel that I can not get to, to coat the welds with primer? thanks Darren

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
azz7772 I am concerned about the areas were I can not get to. To protect the welds on the inside of the pannel I am welding, Like the outter skin of the rockers (68 Dart) were it is near impossable to spray primer after it is welded on. any thoughts thanks Darren

·
Registered
459 Posts
Darren said:
azz7772 I am concerned about the areas were I can not get to.  To protect the welds on the inside of the pannel I am welding, Like the outter skin of the rockers (68 Dart) were it is near impossable to spray primer after it is welded on.  any thoughts  thanks  Darren
Weldable primer inside the panels....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am not explianing myself good enough, how do I spray the inside of the panel after the panel is welded in place? Darren

·
Registered
137 Posts
you should spray them before you weld them in but if you already welded them in i would get some kind of rust preventitive spray and drill a couple of small holes and spray it in the rockers as best you can then weld the holes back up. but doing it before you weld the rockers is the recomended way.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I should spray the backside of the panel with weldable primer then weld in the panel? ( I have not welded the panels in yet.) Darren

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, Darren.....prep and prime the inside of the panels before you weld them in place. There's not a whole lot you can do about the actual weld seam once everything's together, but the rest of the panel will be ok.

Roger

·
Registered
137 Posts
also darren are you using aftermarket rockers? if you are be real careful on the fit espeacially the line that follows the bottom of the door mine were out quit a bit and had to do some modifing on the rockers to get them to look right. if you can i would just replace the outer skin the part that you can see with the door closed and the underside you will get a much better fit.thats what i did on this rocker it turned out to be alot easier than replacing the entire thing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts