Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad for a dana 60 from a chrysler C body wagon. how much trouble would it be to get it to fit under an A body? I'm assuming that I'd have to get it narrowed, but is it worth the effort? they didn't say what gears were in it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana 60 rear, out of '72 Plymouth C-body S/W, GC, $200..........thats what it says. too good to be true, right? even if it was a 9.25 that's better then what I have now. what kind of gear ratio could I expect to find?

G

·
Get a dimension from outside of drum to outside of drum if you can.

I'm trying to squeeze a 8.75" from a '66 Fury (63") under my '69 Valiant.  Not sure yet but it *looks* like approx 1/2" clearance from the rim to the fender llip.  Rims are the new '05 - '07 Bullitts (17" x  8" with a HUGE 6.3" back space).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can't see it being a Dana 60. Once had a 2 hour drive to answer an ad like that, when I got there it was a 9.25", the guy had never heard of one of those before, he just saw a big axle with a rear cover and decided it was a 60, I reckon your guy is doing the same. I would think the ratio will be around 2.76 if it's a wagon and probably an open diff too. I really don't think it's worth the hassle unless you were getting the thing for free, if it was a sure grip and the ratio you wanted then sure why not, a good strong axle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to call on Sunday, and it's at an auto salvege place, about 2 hour drive. I left my name and number on their machine, but no one called me back yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Was a Dana 60 ever an option for a C body? I've never heard of it, but then again my C body knowledge is a little shakey....

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, there were no 'C' bodies built with a Dana 60, but there were some '65-'69 'C' bodies built with a Dana 53.
The Dana 53 was available as a 3.31 Powerlock ONLY in those applications.

The closest fitting 8 3/4 to an A body is the 1965-1967 B body rear, though a pre-'70 'C' body one MIGHT be coaxed under an A body in stock form.

Mark.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how big is a dana 53? just curious. I think I've heard of one before but never seen one. ballpark figure, what does it cost to have an axle cut down to A body specs? I have a ford 9" truck rear and a 3/4 ton chevy sitting around but would like to keep things mopar. anyone ever do an indipendent rear setup?......just throwing it out there.

G

·
Today I put a 9" from a '66 T-Bird in there. It's 61" overall and that fit's much better. 1" from the rim to the fender lip and 2" to the leaf spring.

With a Duster, you should have more room than me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts