Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i run an a body big block car w/cal tracks 50/50 shocks and six cyl. stack spring. the back of the car hops on the hit. it shows in the 60' time. does anyone have this prob? i know about the mono springs. just trying to save a buck. is that my problem? ty

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm no expert, I'm still on a learning curve with my Caltracs, but I think you should invest in some adjustable shocks first, and make sure they are long enough at full extension. I bought Ranchos, and I noticed a big improvement on my car by tightening them up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no expert, I'm still on a learning curve with my Caltracs, but I think you should invest in some adjustable shocks first, and make sure they are long enough at full extension. I bought Ranchos, and I noticed a big improvement on my car by tightening them up.
are you using a stacked spring or a mono?

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
I have to agree with Q. it sounds like your shocks aren't controlling the rebound pulse from the initial launch

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm still using stock type springs. I have been playing with different sets I have, and will be trying a different set this year. I still have traction issues I am trying to sort out, but no bounce or porpoising. I am using Nitto drag radials and figure that my be the problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
what size? I have them too and have been playing a lot with tire pressure but haven't found a good sweet spot yet.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
275/60-15 I have played with tire pressure as well. I tried lowering them to as low as 16, but still had traction problems. One close up shot actually showed that they were wrinkling like a slick at that pressure. I think I will try raising them to 20 or more next year.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
ok, same same here. havent really gone much below about 23 on mine since I have to drive back and forth to the track and didnt have a portable air pump until recently.

I dont think Im to the same power level as you (tired old motor, super mild build), so maybe I can get it to stick a little better in the meantime.

(ditching the slappers sure wouldnt hurt either)

thanks for the tip

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My engine is a torque monster, 610 ft/lbs peak and over 500 ft/lbs over the whole range we dyno'd it. I think that is just too much for those tires, but we'll see. They are popular with the late model cars, but they seem to make more horsepower and less low end torque.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
same thinking here. the Nittos have some pretty stiff sidewalls.
I got them because they're pretty highly rated (in some circles) but I'm not convinced there aren't better ones out there for our type of application.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yes, they do have stiff sidewalls, which is why the wrinkling worried me a bit. I have been told the M&H and the MT are better, but I want to try and see if I can make these Nittos work before spending that kind of cash. They are over $600.00 a pair up here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts