Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I AM ALMOST READY TO START BUILDING THEM but i need to find out what is used
when the springs are moved in still trying to find a pic ANYONE ?
CAL TRACS WEBSITE DOESN,T HAVE ANY PICTURES OF THE INBOARD SET-UP

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hate to do this because I have posted these pictures 3 times in the last week. So here they are again..... Let me know what measurements you need. Honestly, I don't regret spending the money on the cal tracs. I put them on, adjusted them and picked up a 1/10th in the 60 foot times after going from 4.88 gears to 4.30 gears...... THESE THINGS WORK!!!!!!!!!

Bill,

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
PlymanNos said:
I hate to do this because I have posted these pictures 3 times in the last week. So here they are again..... Let me know what measurements you need. Honestly, I don't regret spending the money on the cal tracs. I put them on, adjusted them and picked up a 1/10th in the 60 foot times after going from 4.88 gears to 4.30 gears...... THESE THINGS WORK!!!!!!!!! 

Bill,
Hey Bill, can you possibly take a measurement of the front pivot plate?  That would be awesome!!  Also, how low does the centerline of the rear heim joint mount hang below the shock mount?? 

PS, you're car is awesome!!  I love the sleek flat black look.  I'll probably end up shooting some satin black on my 66 when it comes to that time.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Registered
112 Posts
mopowers said:
PlymanNos said:

Bill,
Hey Bill, can you possibly take a measurement of the front pivot plate?  That would be awesome!!  Also, how low does the centerline of the rear heim joint mount hang below the shock mount?? 

PS, you're car is awesome!!  I love the sleek flat black look.  I'll probably end up shooting some satin black on my 66 when it comes to that time.

Thanks,
Evan

I am not sure exactly which measurements your looking for but, the length from the front spring mount to the axel perch is 20" C/L to C/L. I am not sure what a heim joint is???

Bill,

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The heim joints are the rod ends at the ends of the transfer rod. Can you measure how low the rod is from the top of the lower shock mount on the rearend? Also, I was just curious what the dimensions are of the front pivot plate. 5" x 5"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow thanks for the awsome pictures! Thx alot !! tnku

Also does someone have a picture of a Caltracs mono leaf lose ? I dont exactly know how they look but arent they like two springs in one ? So you can adjuste the lenght of them and then lower or raise the ride height? Its how i got the idea of them, please correct me if im wrong :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those are the split monoleafs on my car shown above. When you order them from Calvert they build them custom for your car taking into consideration the weight, ride hight and many other aspects....

Bill,

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you check into buying all the parts you might save 20.00 . plus all your time. theres more to cal tracs than just the plates and rod. theres also a difference in the plates for a car that has the springs moved in. youve already wasted 20 min or so looking at the computer for people to send you the dimesions. so is it really worth it. how come you guys dont ask bill or some one that has a front supension from him to give you the dimensions for the front end you probelly could save a few bucks. boom[]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
65prostreet said:
[]{} just go steal a set off another guys car... it same thing as stealing there design.
Thats funny, because every old hotrodder I've spoken with says making your own parts is what hotrodding is all about.  If I've got the steel or aluminum to make it happen, why not?  I guess I shouldn't bother making my own elephant ears, 2-bolt master cylinder adaptor, rearend backbrace, spring relocation kit, or subframe connectors either?  I've never been the the fabricator type, but thats why I got into this project.  I want to learn how to do this type of work.  There's no other way to learn than to do it right? A lot of people don't think it's worth the time I've been spending making things I can very easily go online and buy. But, at this point, I think it's well worth my time because I'm learning how to use tools I've never used and learning how to do things most of the people around here already know how to do.

·
Registered
217 Posts
thats all fine and dandy to want to learn how to fab stuff. But dont just flat out rip off some other guys design. this guy spent some time to figure out all the diminsions for the cal tracs and now there are people wanting to copy his design. sit down with a tape measure and start measuring things and change the desing a little bit and sleep better at night knowing you desinged something on your own. know if bill got the plans from some one else to build the alterkation front supesion , would you guys think hes still a god?
desing your own parts is half the fun of being a fabricator. give it try sometime!

·
Registered
47 Posts
What you're trying to do is duplicate (or steal) a product which is patent protected. It's not really fair to the guy who spent 1000's of dollars on design, prototypes & marketing.

Like fury said earlier, you wouldn't ask Bill to supply you the measurements on his products....same thing just a different company.

Just my opinion but I'm bias...our family business is in manufacturing.

Good luck....& sleep well.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Actually I had my cal-trac bars built before I got any measurements. I was just curious what the cal-trac measurements were. In fact, mine are a little different in design, Almost like a cross between caltracs and slide links. And yes, I slept very well last night. -0*(

G

·
I really have to side with Mopowers on this. Hotrodding FOREVER has been all about this. Do you go buy a 3M "sanding block" because you don't want to steal somebodys design by using a block of wood or a flat rubber bumper? I'll bet most of you record sports events; huh? Mass producing somebody's design for profit is where the harm is. Not using a design for your own use. Heck; if you can make something yourself; and save some cash out of of that outrageous mark up; go for it! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
acpat said:
[]{} some things are not worth building. Not to mention the safety aspect
not to jump one way or the other but the tech help at calvert racing is top notch and all the guys have bent over backwards to help us in the past and have gone as far as to make sure they could be reached on a sat afternoon to help us get there parts adjusted and get us hookin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts