Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in hearing from anyone that has used CalTraks. I run a 66 Dart that runs 10.0's on a 10" slick. I want to avoid tubbing it if I can.

Any thoughts?

Thx.....

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
from all accounts here, Cals are awesome.  just do a search here and you'll find many of our residents using and abusing them, as well as touting their virtues.

the only reason I dont (yet) is if I get traction at all, I fear my lil 8.25 will do an IED impression. boom[]

once I snag the S60 Im looking at, those will be bought and added right along with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dad has homemade cal tracs on his car (pic below) with QA1 adj shocks, trans-brake and 10.5 tire. 1.43 60 foot times. They work great for him. My duster, running high 11's has the same bars and will damn near hook up in the rain.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cal tracs and slide a links work awesome...put them on adjust them and forget it. Only downside to them is you have a solid eye made of aluminum in the front spring eye that has to be pressed in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand it, the aluminum bushings allow the respose needed for for the CalTraks to function otherwise you would have a floating (changing) pressure which goes against the point of the system.

Just read that not long ago on another board.

Ray

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both myself and my father use stock bushings trimmed to fit the pivot brackets, no ill side effects, they just work great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do the Caltrac brackets fit in the spring bucket on either side of the spring eye/bushing? What thickness is the steel? What keeps it from binding. In other words how do you tighten the spring eye bolt without pinching the bracket? Does the eye bolt wear the aluminum spring bushing?

Sorry for all the questions.

Tim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cal Trac's will work as good as a 4 link on cars making 1000 or less horsepower but, you have to get the whole package. Cal Tracs, Split mono leafs and adjustable shocks. For example; I installed the below system on my 65' Belvedere and I picked up a 1/10th in my 60 foot times after dropping from a 4.88 gear to a 4.30. Remember, the whole package......

Bill,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What kind of 60 foot times are you getting? How about the 1/4 mile times? Interesting that you tubbed the car and went with CalTraks. What is the weight of the car?

Very nice car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The springs in both mine and my dads cars are just plain old stock worn out leafs. Both sets have another leaf added just to get the ride height looking good. For the added leaf, we just took an old leaf pack, removed the main leaf and cut the ends off and added them into the leafs in the cars. Worked out perfect, and sat with a nice stance. I've heard that using S/S springs and cal tracs together is a bad thing, I believe they counter act each other, but not 100% sure, I'd have to ask my dad, he's the chassis guy, not me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SS springs will not work with cal tracs. The springs are from calvert racing also, they will set you up with everything after you have given them about 20 data points on your car, Mancini took my order..... The 60' time is 1.48, and the 1/4 mile time is low 10's, weight is 3800 Lbs. I did not tub the car, it was done a long time ago along with the 2X3 frame. I could have used ladder bars but, they don't perform as well as the cal tracs do.

Bill,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why don't you just go to there website and
read all about there product?
Yes I have the complete package on my car.
Mono-leafs, caltrac bars,and rancho shocks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts