Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here with caltracs? I saw some pictures from a thread a few days ago, but does anyones else have them , and what springs are you running? I was thinking about building my own caltracs. What springs should I use? I know monos are good with caltracs, but are they stiff enough to support the car on the street? can you use caltracs with stock multileaf springs? I just have all the materials to build them and thought I could save a few bucks, or should I "spring" for some SS's?? HARHARHAR. Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I have ss springs but a friend has a 454 chev and put the cal-tracks with no gain in 60ft.   doh    but  he said it handle better. -0*(

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bentwheel43 said:
I have ss springs but a friend has a 454 chev and put the cal-tracks with no gain in 60ft.   doh    but  he said it handle better. -0*(
What springs did he run with them. The only reason i was contemplating them is because I saw this

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

and thought it would be cheaper to make them and run a cheaper spring. Plus I've heards lots of good things about the caltracs.

·
0 Posts
i am building two pair right now, one for my dart and the other set for my buddys son and his camaro , plan on using stock springs on both cars. they say you cannot run cal tracs on the ss springs .

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you think cal-tracs on a stock spring with hook better than a SS spring on a high 10 second A body??

·
0 Posts
this is my first time using the cal tracks , so i cant really say how well they will work in reality, i have used the SS springs they work well but i dont like the way the car sits with them. maybe some one else can help you out a little more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
from my understanding caltracs recomends there monoleaf or a set of worn out 6 cyl springs with rancho 9000 shocks. ive talked to a couple of people at the track and thats what there running(worn out spring)there 60ft times improved.my friend also that that same setup on his 360 4spd valiant and it helped him hook up great. before he hada hard time keeping the tires from spinning when launching know it hooks great.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't have the money for their mono leafs. And my stock springs are shot. I wanted to go with JC whitney springs because I've heard good things about them plus they're only $60 each!! I'm just wondering If i should go with the heavy duty 5 leaf or the stock replacement 4 leaf. Any thoughts?? I was leaning towards the 5 leaf just because they will probably last longer and will take longer to sag after all the abuse I plan on putting them through.
Cheers!

here's the link

spring link

·
Registered
101 Posts
Find a 4 door in the junkyard and rob it of the springs. I figured a guy should be able to make a set for less than $100. For us poor(cheap ;D) folk that's not too bad! ;)

B

·
0 Posts
mopowers said:
bentwheel43 said:
What springs did he run with them.  The only reason i was contemplating them is because I saw this

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

and thought it would be cheaper to make them and run a cheaper spring.  Plus I've heards lots of good things about the caltracs. 
     He put the black mono leave springs and shocks  all togather it was over $500 for all , he had lakewood traction bars  doh   both setups ran  1.51s or 1.50s -0*(      My SS.springs lift my car 3" on take off, I don't have x-long shocks but I got a 1.489 60ft.with a 6.607 Saturday.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I want to build my own caltracs and on the site showing how to build them from front of bolt to the second spring it says take distance and divide in half,on instruction it has 6'' to the bolt that puts pressure on top of spring,my distance is only 4'' so my top bolt would only be 2'' from leaf spring bolt.What are you guys doing and does anyone have the distance from the actual caltracs? I hope this makes sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts