Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a search function on this site, but I know this subject has to have been addressed here before: Are 8 3/4 axles hardened the entire length? Can they cut and resplined?

·
Registered
994 Posts
loiq said:
I can't find a search function on this site, but I know this subject has to have been addressed here before: Are 8 3/4 axles hardened the entire length? Can they cut and resplined?
the thing is if you cut an a- body axle[must be for tubbing] their won't be enough meat to spline it , and even if their was it would have to be profesionaly hardened, it will just break or the splines will shread off [if racing] i would just go to some real axles, unless it's just to get the car rolling around and stuff

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used B body housing and axles for my tub. Had the axles cut 8" and resplind for $200. Depends on how much H/P your putting out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you know I've been building mopars for almost 30yrs and I have never heard of good non tapered axels breaking with 350 horse.....you know for a lot of years they ran narrowed 8 3/4 in top fuel & funny cars.Years ago you could not run down and pick up trick axels for mopars like now so me and friends of mine used to have chris & steve alston narrow our rearends and cut and respline axels in thier garage and never had any problems.I understand now days with mosher, strange etc...you can get really good axels but thats not the question he asked.You know how many camaros years ago used to run narrowed 8 3/4s ....alot of guys I new did....junk ass 12 bolts..... ;D

·
Registered
994 Posts
know
xxxhemi said:
you know I've been building mopars for almost 30yrs and I have never heard of good non tapered axels breaking with 350 horse.....you know for a lot of years they ran narrowed 8 3/4 in top fuel & funny cars.Years ago you could not run down and pick up trick axels for mopars like now so me and friends of mine used to have chris & steve alston narrow our rearends and cut and respline axels in thier garage and never had any problems.I understand now days with mosher, strange etc...you can get really good axels but thats not the question he asked.You know how many camaros years ago used to run narrowed 8 3/4s ....alot of guys I new did....junk ass 12 bolts..... ;D
thanks for the experience ,you know it could have just been the shop that had done them and didn't do a good job? :p because i know of three cars that it  had happened to all were c-body axles cut down to a-body, obviously their are variables that i don't know about on these cars.  And i'm just curious was their any heat cycling done to the axles to harden them?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The machine shop that did mine has been around for many years and specializes in rear end work. He does alot of drag racers and roundy round cars. The walls of his shop are a museum of stock car and drag guys. Most of them autogarphed to him by name. The only questions he asked was approximate H/P, if I was going to spray it or have a trans break. I believe that the axles are already hardend from the factory and he does a wet cut. No heat envolved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know MANY guy's who have had stock mopar axles cut & resplined to fit A-body housings.
We're not talking about a 9 sec. car here for gods sake.....my vote: GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My axels came with my car, so I dont have any info on them.WERE shortenen big bolt pattern something or rather twisted rite off at end of splines. This was a street car with a 78 440 + street tires. Could not get other axel out of the clutch suregrip so I made the decision to sacrifice the housing. sawing it in two with a band saw. Had to take the unit apart to get the stubs out and had to saw off the axels with a hack saw.So moral of the story for me is NO MORE RESPLINED AXELS FOR ME....tHIS IS A ONE TIME LESSON FOR ME, WHICH i DID NOT NEED OR WANT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my challenger..i narrowed the housing and cut the axles..went 10.70s for years. I sold the car 6 years back and it still same rearend in the car. If you feel like it would be a worry, couple hundred dollars give you a peace of mind that well spent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
read oldkimmers post and believe. for what you will spend just add some $ and get good axels. do it once and be done with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts