Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this on another board, but no replies.     Is there a difference between disk brake spindles from left to right?  I ask because I have tire fitment trouble on the front of the 68 cuda.   I have about 3/4 inch of clearance between my 215/75/15 tires and the front wheel opening but have about 1 inch to the rear of the opening.  I believe the brakes came off a 76 volare and I have them mounted where the caliper is on the rear side of the spindle.    Do I just have the wrong rims or do I need shorter tires?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I swapped the spindles on my 73 when I installed them. I did it by accident, but it hasn't seemed to cause any problems yet. A couple of the guys here have done it also with no ill effects.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at it this afternoon, it appears my front tires are just too tall. Sucks because they still have the new tire nubs on the tread. I put them on my RR just before I sold it to buy this cuda.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Yes, the spindles can be swapped, but it won't change the location of the tire. 215-75-15 are definitely too tall. My son's Dart has 215-60-15s up front and the fit is good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Jim, I think I met you at the Mopar Nats in 2004. You were accross from us at the BigBlockDart tent while I was at the Cope Racing Trans tent and I snapped a couple pics of you and your dart. I had a 67 red conv for a first car. I think that was you.

Lars, also, thanks for the reply. I will have to get different tires , ie, shorter. What is the widest tire to fill the wheel well for handling, and the tallest too?

·
Registered
305 Posts
ta3834bbl said:
Thanks for the reply Jim,  I think I met you at the Mopar Nats in 2004.  You were accross from us at the BigBlockDart tent while I was at the Cope Racing Trans tent and I snapped a couple pics of you and your dart.  I had a 67 red conv for a first car.  I think that was you.

Lars, also, thanks for the reply.  I will have to get different tires , ie, shorter.  What is the widest tire to fill the wheel well for handling, and the tallest too?
That would probably have been Herb Beer (Dart67)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, It looks like the swinger's front fender opens up more at the leading edge than the cuda does. Might just be the angle but it looks larger.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
Nope, didn't meet me at the Nats. I've never been. It's a long haul from here in California.
Must not have. Now I notice that yours has a stock hood, where the person I met had a sixpack hood. Oh well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I was asking, because my calipers are on the back side.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
The sway bar problem is easily fixed. The end links can be shortened until there is no space between the the sets of bushings. This provides plenty of clearance. Either way, though, you need to clearance the sway bar tab for the forward lower ball joint bolt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.