Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am stripping my car this weekend. will it hurt the metal if I just leave it bare metal for a few weeks? My garage is only heated when I work out there. Thanks Darren

·
Registered
283 Posts
rust will set in quicker than you think. ;) i would a least put some wd-40 or some light oil coating till ready to do body work.

G

·
No offense but wd-40 is not what you should put on bare steel. It will cause or could cause major problems down the road when you start your paint process. If you need to cover it just get some rattle can primer and use that until your ready to do the bodywork then remove it. Oils are not what you want present when you are doing bodywork.

·
Registered
137 Posts
mine is in a shop that gets hot and cold all the time and i have bare metal for a year now and it is ok i will give it a light sandblasting just before i coat it with primer to get the impurities off it

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
194 Posts
They have some stuff in the paint department at your local Home Depot that will work. The color of the contents is green. Dupont has a product like it also. Dilute it just like the directions say. Use a spray bottle to spray mist it on and wipe off before it dries. It is an acid with a phosporuse (sp?). The acid etches the metal for better paint adheasion. And the phosporuse leaves a coating that protects the metal.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree, use a product called metal prep,You will get microscopic rust forming hours after you strip it, when you metal prep, it neutralizes the microscopic rust and does keep rust from forming, you should be able to go months before you prime, and when you do prime, use a good 2 part epoxy primer, just run a scuff pad over the metal right before you prime and wash it good with pre-kleano, a good paint job is only as good as the 1st coat!! Good luck, Newbomb

·
Registered
165 Posts
No I don't know the name, I know the Dupont stuff works good, but you won't get any until tommorrow from your local body supply store. I use a scuff pad to apply, keep it wet for 15 min, I believe, and wipe it off with a different cloth, follow the directions EXACTLY as it says, wear rubber gloves, and the stuff smells like rotten eggs, if you don't do it right or get all of the excess of you could have an adhesion problem. So good luck and take your time, Newbomb

G

·
These guys are correct. You shouldnt leave metal bare at all. You may think its clean and rust free but its not. The oils from you hands and the moisture in the air will make a panel start to rust as soon as it becomes bare. Its kinda weird but if you set a panel outside in the weather it wouldnt show rust very quickly. You could set a door outside with one small spot bare and it will rust very quickly. Its called "hotspotting". Definely cover it with something, epoxy and metal etch being the best idea.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I have my shell half stripped now and I am HOPPING to have it done by the end of this week. that means the car will be in bare metal for a week. What is the next best thing to do? Thanks Darren

G

·
Now if you lived out here in California you could leave the car in the garage with bare metal and not have any rust. I've been working on mine for over a year now and the bare metal areas are as clean and shinny as the day I sanded them down.

Ah the joys of a California car.

Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd strip a panel, then hit it with epoxy primer, then strip the next panel, primer it, etc. I'd rather not wait and see if rust will pop up a year or so down the road under my new paint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts