Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought another set of heavy duty swivel casters from Harbour Freight. The same ones I used the front end of my Dart. The front ones bolted right up to the bumper nuts in the frame and are very stable. (As pictured) The problem I'm having now is figuring out how to do the rear ones. Would it weaken the frame if i drilled it and attached something like I have drawn made up? (I'm not an engineer or a fabricator as you can probably tell.) :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grancoupe said:
What about mounting to the bumper mounts?
The rear bumper mounts are quite different that the front ones. The rear has a bolt and nut that attaches to a much thinner gauge "box"; rather than mounting right to the frame itself. I'm afraid if i attach it there; it will bend the panel that is up under the roll pan.
I also want to keep it as clear as i can to remove the diff and leaf springs; and move the hangers inboard for tubbing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres the front caster. we stripped a S6 K and opened up the holes to fit early and Late A's. 8" HD caster. back is still on the 7.25 axle. No rear caster...jet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here's a thought.  Weld a short piece of 1/2" rebar to the top of two 1/2" bolts.  Make the rebar long enough so that the bolts won't spin on the inside of the rear frame rails.  Go with your initial design, but just use two bolts on the bottom of your channel.  Drill them to match the spacing of those two factory holes just to the left of the shackle mount, (in the pic below). Insert your two fabricated T-bolts in the holes, place your casters astride the frame rail with the bolts through the channel, and install the nuts.  Should be plenty stable, a slong as the "down-legs" aren't three feet long.
(Ahhh, shoot! The pic didn't transfer over.)

Roger

rear frame bumper mounts.jpg (48.35 KB, 384x406 - viewed 9 times.)

« 

·
Registered
86 Posts
i notice that the front casters are at a slight angle...they work alot better if you keep the top swivel plate of the caster perfectly horizontal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AAOUTLAW said:
i notice that the front casters are at a slight angle...they work alot better if you keep the top swivel plate of the caster perfectly horizontal
Yeah; thats why I'm going to have the rear casters fabbed up and need a stable surface to mount on. I figure about 20" tall as is the hight the front ones are. If they were going to be short; I wouldn't worry about the bumper mounts. On the rebar idea; I'm not getting a mental image of what your idea is as of yet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mopartist said:
On the rebar idea; I'm not getting a mental image of what your idea is as of yet.
WHAT!!?? You're not getting my telepathic message? The phone psychic said I was telepathic! ::)

What I'm trying to get at is to fab up a T-bolt that you can insert into the two factory holes in the frame rail just forward of the shackle mount. If you scroll up, you'll see them just to the left of the shackle. You could then bolt your caster to the frame rail without having to modify anything. I suspect that if you have the top channel straddle the rail, it'll be fairly stable under the car.

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It worked! Thanks for the ideas

Roger; i used a variation of your idea; except a little farther back so i will be able to move the leafs inboard. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts