Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE My 69 Dart 440 - I thought I had this issue solved when I purchased a complete 187 oil pan, windage tray etc to replace the Milodon that was put in some years ago. The Milodon had a huge dent in it where ( I thought ) the 187 pan's factory-made indent was. So naturally I figured that by getting a real oil pan it would take care of it.

WELL... The center link is STILL hitting the pan on right turns about 1.5 " BEHIND the factory indent on the 187!!!! The motor is moutned correctly all of the rest of the drive train is fine, etc. so DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER CLUES. Is it possible that I have an incorrect center link?

One with more of a right angle down turn on each side and lower to the ground would probably do the trick.

I also replaced the idler arm which was very loose Do you suppose that looseness may have allowed enough play to let me to make right turns? It still put a huge gouge in the pan, though. I drove the car for years without noticing an issue all the while with this happening.

I did notice that the idler arm bolt had a cotter pin in it and the Moog replacement I got did not. I read somewhere that only the '67 A bodies had cotter pins in the idler arm. Could it be that the restorer used a 1967 front suspension in the car? Would there be that big a difference? It's an original H code 383 so it had the correct K frame etc. when stock.

SOMEONE HELP ME !! I NEED TO GET READY FOR THE SHOWS IN 2 WEEKS.
I'm at a loss here

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have the correct 187 pan as well, and I checked it before I installed it. I needed to extend the factory dimple back about another inch. I was under the car yesterday, and I noticed a small spot where it has knocked some paint off the pan. The 67 idler arm is rare and expensive. Yours should have a through bolt mounting it between two ears on the K frame. The 67 has a ball joint on each end and bolts into a single tab on the K frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the correct 187 pan as well, and I checked it before I installed it. I needed to extend the factory dimple back about another inch. I was under the car yesterday, and I noticed a small spot where it has knocked some paint off the pan. The 67 idler arm is rare and expensive. Yours should have a through bolt mounting it between two ears on the K frame. The 67 has a ball joint on each end and bolts into a single tab on the K frame.
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought. How did you dimple it? Did you have to do anything with the windage tray inside (I do have the correct idler arm though with the through-bolt.)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I dimpled mine with a little heat and a ball peen hammer. Of course it was off the car at the time. It didn't interfere with the stock or stroker windage trays. I may have some pics on my home computer, I will have to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dimpled mine with a little heat and a ball peen hammer. Of course it was off the car at the time. It didn't interfere with the stock or stroker windage trays. I may have some pics on my home computer, I will have to check.
Thanks for the reply. Any chance it can be done on the car?? I just went for 2 new gaskets, oil and labor to put the new one on.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It would be tough to do on the car. If you drained the oil and had a proper torch to get the metal cherry red you may be able to do it quickly. I only had a small bernzomatic torch which wouldn't put out much heat, so I had to work it a little at a time.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have the same issue on my car, except I am using a Mildon 8qt Pan. I gave it some love while it was on the car by hitting a ball peen hammer with another hammer. Barely touches now. Good luck - Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
My last 440 source pan did it on it's own with a couple of hard right turns.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
when i had a milodon on the dart it hit on right turns. a BFH fixed it right up. my charlies pan also hit on right turns, being aluminum that one took alot more to fix.

hitting

not hitting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll try the easy route first Thanks guys

Ball peen hammer here I come. I assume you had no inside clearance issue wit the pan or windage tray after peening the pan? I really don not want to take the new 187 off the car again and have to go for ne gaskets, oil and labor etc. Ball peen is way cheaper and now has the possibility of me being able to get the car on the road by next weekend

My last 440 source pan did it on it's own with a couple of hard right turns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts