Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have lost the charging on my ('85 ram)truck. Its wired very basic like my mid 70's darts i had. I checked all the voltages and continuitys and everything checked good--as it should as i completely redid the whole charging/ignition wiring a few months back and soldered and shunk wraped everything. I have 12 volts at the back of the alternator and 12v at one of the field terminals of the alternator with the key on. So basically im down to the alternator or the voltage regulator. How can i determine which is bad as i dont have extras of either around to try?

--chad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Full field the Alt take the ground wire on the field (Grn) remove it & place a jumper on that terminal to ground directly start truck & measure voltage shuld be 15+ Volts if so alt is good. The green wire from the alt goes to the VR which regulates it to ground controling the field current also make shure the VR is grounded well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, i tried an extra ground from the regulator, i added a big braided ground strap from the engine to the body, double checked all voltages and continuities, ---still no charging. I full fielded the alternator by grounding the green terminal--17.35 volts. So i guess its the voltage regulator.

I also was wondering if i can replace the 16 gauge fusible link wire with a fuse--and if so, what size? i think this is a 130amp alternator---it came on the magnum motor i got from a van.

--chad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, got the new regulator and i replaced the fusible link that i previously almost fried a few months back, now i have hardly no drop between the battery and back of alternator and its charging again.

But, just like before, its still charging high (although it never seemed to bother things), it charges at 14.9-15.2 volts. I wonder if there maybe something wrong with the alternator itself, this is the third different regulator i have tried in 6 months and it still charges this high.

Just for kicks, i think im going to try the alternator off my dakota to see if it makes a difference in charging volts. But hey, at least i have it charging again.........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check to see what the voltage is at the red wire of the VR with the truck running you may be getting voltage drop on the sense wire Yes you can replace the fusable link with fuses I have replaced my entire charg wire with 2ga welding cable & a circuit breaker rated at 240 Amps as I run a 215 amp alt.For you alt I would use a 150 Amp fuse or breaker & upgrade the charge wire

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.