Big Block Dart Forums banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: check out my new RMS rear suspension ..(pics)

Bill, maybe I missed it, but will this work for a early A body? If not wouldnt part of the kit work & I could fab up the rest myself? This the type setup I want under my 66 Dart. Although I do plan to race the car I am more interested in a good all around handling with a fair leave at the track with DR's. Looking at Joe's car leaving the line I already know what to expect with that part. If not overpowered, it should supply a pretty good 60ft anyway. My car will be a 6 speed with turbo so I want be doing major hard leaves anyway, the ET will come on down the track from the major MPH. Drive in, turn a 9.50 is the goal. But I will be driving on 2 to 300 mile trips with plenty of back roads involed at times.

I know 9.50's may sound like a bit of stretch in some ways, but with a turbo setup & the right motor combo its a breeze. I can do it on springs, but really want that little bit better handling & fitting the right tire combo with the stock wheel wells. WIth what you have going here, it looks like the perfect setup for my intent. I am not sure how the 66 Dart wheel wells compair to the 67 up cars, but I believe the 275/50/17's should be a go.

Jess

·
Registered
52 Posts

q: tn bill or joe, is there enough room to have 8.5" of clearance on the backspace with this kit? do i need to move the front mounts to acheive this? i plan to tub as much as needed and im using a 8.8 with a width 5/8 less than stock

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·

i have 5.72 backspace and that close to the limit.. you would have to move the mounts inboard and you may be ok.. bull would know better though.

·
Registered
52 Posts

thanks for the quick reply joe, great sig pic too =D

edit: did some further searching and calculations and figured this out i'll be talkin to you soon Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts

I was just wondering what i need to do to get info on purchasing this set up, I cant find it on the site and tried emailing throught the rms website but have not heard anything back. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·

austin9746 said:
I was just wondering what i need to do to get info on purchasing this set up, I cant find it on the site and tried emailing throught the rms website but have not heard anything back. Thanks in advance for the help.
  your phone works ok right?

right off the RMS site.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Daily Hours Are 9am - 6pm Eastern Time.

Phone - 570-443-7440

Our Current Mailing/Shipping Address is:

Reilly MotorSports, Inc.
2323 White Haven Rd.
White Haven, PA. 18661

·
Registered
18 Posts

a couple people have asked with no answer, will it fit on an early a, or what i should be asking is if the distance between the frame rails, and the spring mounts are the same

·
Registered
647 Posts

I can't answer for bill but I would assume it wouldn't work because it was designed for a 67-76 abody as far as I know.

·
Registered
18 Posts

would that be the only problem if it was used on the early a bodies. how far off is the width between the frame rails? and are you going to make a kit available soon.

G

·

I wouldn't mind doing it, but I don't have an early a here, and time is very tight for new items at the moment. I'm sure I could get someone to bring an early a up to me, but I have some other pressing matters with new ideas that I'm commited to already. There's no way to know what could be off - for instance, the b-body frame rails at the rear are only 3/4" wider - however, they also kick up higher than the a's, so the crossbar I make now has to be in a totally different location to work out. Strange differences abound...

·
Registered
85 Posts

abodyjoe said:
AdamR said:
Joe, is your new sig picture a launch with the new rear suspension ? Either way thats a hell of a wheels up shot for a 12 second car ! Looks good Joe.

yes that was the first time out with it... i was suprised how much different it launched.
you noted "different"

is this "different" in a good way, bad way or just a strange NEW way?

Just interested in your input please

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·

MomsR/T said:
abodyjoe said:
AdamR said:
Joe, is your new sig picture a launch with the new rear suspension ? Either way thats a hell of a wheels up shot for a 12 second car ! Looks good Joe.

yes that was the first time out with it... i was suprised how much different it launched.
you noted "different"

is this "different" in a good way, bad way or just a strange NEW way?

Just interested in your input please

better.. it used to squat some and pull the front wheel maybe an inch... now the bumper almost hits the ground the front comes up more level and the wheel comes up probably about 3 inches...

·
Registered
18 Posts

did i scare everyone away, does anyone know how much wider is the distance between the framerails on the later a than the early a

·
Registered
69 Posts

beats me, but I want this bad, first the alterk up front, then this for the rear. man im never gonna finish this car ;D think it'd be possible to put 255-45/20 tires on 20x9 rims out back without hackingor mini tubbing the wheel wells??

·
Registered
647 Posts

Stroked GT said:
beats me, but I want this bad, first the alterk up front, then this for the rear. man im never gonna finish this car ;D think it'd be possible to put 255-45/20 tires on 20x9 rims out back without hackingor mini tubbing the wheel wells??
well page one joe said the size of bills rims and tires and they were in his cars stock wheel wells:
i know bills 275/50-17 tires (27.8 X 10.Cool mounting on a 17 x 8 rim with a 5.72 back space fit perfect on the back of my car.. and the wheel wells are stock....
so I don't see why a 20" rim with a 255-45/20 wouldn't fit. Personally you should mini tube it because bill had said if you minitub it and move the spring perches in you can fit a 305 tire in there:

Just inboard the front mounts, just like you had leaf springs. It works the same - I actually designed it with the links inboard, and later tried the stock location. I'm putting 305/35/18's on, and I should actually have a bit of clearance on the inside.

It's alot more difficult to do the tubbing than it is to move the front perch inboard - move them in while you're grinding the wells and you'll have lots of room.
just out of curiousity what wheel have you decided to run and what kind of offset do you have?

I've changed my mind on rims again and am looking at the american racing Razor
18x9 with these specs:
offset +12
backspacing 5 1/2

·
Registered
69 Posts

just out of curiousity what wheel have you decided to run and what kind of offset do you have?

I've changed my mind on rims again and am looking at the american racing Razor
18x9 with these specs:
offset +12
backspacing 5 1/2
im not sure if that was referred to me, but if so, i was looking at Charger SRT-8 wheels, like the photochop in my sig. I have to check the offset i dont know what it is. I just won a wheel on ebay that im going to use for test fitting, etc. If I dont like the look im going to resell it. i dont want my car to look all donked out

121 - 140 of 173 Posts