Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering do any of you guys know the width of the Cherokee rear? I'm wondering if it would make a good swap into my 70 Dart. I'd pick up the larger bolt pattern as well as Disc Brakes...any Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Boy would my wife be ticked if I pulled the rear out of her GC. lol I did that with her stereo and she was upset, can't imagine what would fly if she came out and saw her jeep on jacks minus the rear. HEE-HEE

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is probably a small dana (40 or 44?) or an 8 1/4 rear. Look at the back cover and see if it looks the same as an 8 1/4. You could also try bionicdodge.com for info. They are late model truck guy's on that site and might be able to tell you how strong a rear that is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Dana 44 tends to do ok with small block power. After all, thats what all the 5000 lb Durangos run, and most of the first gen Durangos run 31 inch tires to boot. Just my .02 cents

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since they're both 8.25's, I wonder if the Jeep's axle housing still has the same stud style outer flange and bolt pattern that was used on the older 7.25, 8.25, and 8.75 Chrysler axles. If they are still the same, it would be a cheap and easy bolt on rear disc conversion(if the older axles fit - otherwise the Jeep's axles would need to be $hortened and re-$plined).

·
Registered
52 Posts
from what i know, the cher. 8.25 and the chry 8.25 are just the same inside, the outside of the pumpkin might be in a different position though, and the cher.'s lower shockmounts are on opposite sides. but, i assume they could be ground off since the stock rear ubolt has the shock mount built in. and the springs are 46" apart from outside to outside. try naxja.org oh, and they are 5 x 4.5

·
Registered
143 Posts
i was thinking the same thing,,when we had a jeep liberty,,if the bracketry would interchange with an 8 3/4 it would be a cheap conversion,,, i knew i should of puled it apart before i traded in that 6 cylinder gass hogggggg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts