Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put tube upper control arms and coil overs in my dart can I take out the torsion bar? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of doing that for drag racing?

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
if all you did was replace the upper control arm/shock setup then my initial reaction would be no, that wont work.
the torsion bars work as locators for the lower control arm as well as bump resistance and keep the lower arm moving in its vertical axis. without those there'd be nothing to prevent the lowers from moving fore and aft during use.

(then again, I could be wrong....no really...its happened before! **(*) )

I think youre probably wanting to go with something like the alterktion setup alot of these folks are running.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
rsdart said:
If I put tube upper control arms and coil overs in my dart can I take out the torsion bar? Is there any advantage or disadvantage of doing that for drag racing?
Well if you really trust the weight of your car on those sheetmetal shock towers...

A couple of us have chosen to do it the right way (AlterKtion).

That is, unless you have a tube chassis car with upper shock mounting points.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well right way or not you do not need an aftermarket K member. They do have many advantages however, like rack and pinion etc. If you tie in the front shock towers to a roll cage or even just the firewall with some tubing you will be fine. I have done it many times in the past this was with no issues. My current car has coil overs in the front too.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I stand by my statement. The shock towers aren't made to handle the weight of the car.

What you do is with your car is your business - no way am I going to try it that's for sure. I've got kids at home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well in your opionion apparently the Alter K is the only right way? I have done this many times and if you know what you are doing there is no problem. However if you do not have the mechanical ability of posses the fabricating skill to do the job correctly then I agree you need and aftermarket K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I didn't say that. I said if you don't have your shock towers tied into a cage then it becomes a problem.

I got the impression from the OP that he hadn't done that yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts