Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever cut up an an auto column to make a floor shift?...aka cutting out the selector and welding in a piece of sheet metal over it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yep. I looked for a long time for a factory floor shifty column. Guys either wanted a fortune, or I could not find one at all. I figured I would have had to "restore" it anyway, so why not just turn mine into a floor shift column?

Check out my gallery for more photos. I also shortened the housing to move the column bearing up towards the firewall more for more header clearance. It all turned out pretty nice.

·
Registered
283 Posts
did you use the old bearing or new one? still looking for one. do you have a pic. of the bearing relocated?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I got an old one from Dustpan on here. It was in better shape than mine. I am not sure you can find new ones anywhere...

The pic above is with the bearing relocated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that looks perfect!....i noticed that the housing is made out of that cheap pop metal....can it be welded? if not how did you do yours?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also...how did you lock the shifting mechanism to keep it from sliding down while turning?

·
Registered
749 Posts
My son and I just pulled the /6 out of his 68 Dart this weekend...so this would be a great time to do this mod to it. The car is getting a 4 speed to replace the 904 from the factory...
Smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth job!

Rick and Rickey Jr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts