Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dart had when I bought it on one side of the tack bow (bow above the rear glass) a spring steel wire that attached to the 2 screws on the end of the bow. I would guess it was on both sides and one broke.

The guy that put the top on did not reinstall this. I did make another out of spring steel for the other side.

I ended up with a hole in the top on the right sail panel and it was wearing on the left side in the same place. Come to find out is was being pinched as the top was being raised or lowered. Now I'm thinking the spring steel wire was to push the fabric out so it would not be pinched.

At the Mopar Nationals I talked to Herb Beers and he raised his top and he also has the spring steel wire on the end of the tack bow

Does you 67~69 Dart convertible have a spring steel wire on the tack bow to push the fabric out? You can see it with the top up at the end of the tack bow pushing out on the top fabric.

I do not know where the wire is now. The top was originally put on 2 years ago. I think I need to get these pieces so I can put the to down without ruining another top..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
Yes, both convertibles had them originally. I forget exactly where they go, though and I've never been quite sure of their purpose.
I do not know where the one off my car is................If someone has an extra spring steel wire support for the top or if someone can give me a good photo with measurements so I can make them I sure would appreciate it.

I want to put the top down but don't want to ruin another top

I talked to a guy in Florida that specializes in convertibles and he has never seen one that he can remember. He corrected me in the name of the bow. It is on the rear bow not rear tack strip

·
Registered
219 Posts
Let me check my spare top and get back to you in the morning.

I will also look in my "67" parts book for the original part number and name.

Herb

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just checked my spare top. It has the springs. The parts book does not show them in the blow up photo of the top, so I can not come up with a part number, sorry.

Herb

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dart67 said:
I just checked my spare top. It has the springs. The parts book does not show them in the blow up photo of the top, so I can not come up with a part number, sorry.

Herb
Herb, would you sell me the springs or take some pictures & measurements so I can make some

Larry

·
Registered
219 Posts
Larry,

I will try over the next week or so to get back in the attic of the shop and pull the springs off. If I can, I will duplicate them and send you a set.

Do you still have my card with the phone number?? If so give me a call.

Herb

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Herb,
If you can duplicate these springs for the convertible top, I'll need 2 sets. pm me with the price. ;D
Thanks,
Shawn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts