Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 3 different 8 3/4 rearends. One is from a late 60's early 70s B body and the other two are from early 70's C bodies. I am trying to decide if I should keep looking (and saving) for an actual A body rearend or if I should just have one of the housings narrowed and axles shortened and resplined. What do you guys think would be my best option? I already have new leaf springs, shocks, and leaf relocation kit that I will do all at the same time over a weekend or so. tnku

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just get one of the C body housings narrowed. You can have the axels resplined, but if you are planning on having some HP then I would step up to some after market axels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a price range that I would be looking at?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any information is helpful. I have been around mopars since I can remember, but this is my first real project. My dad usually just does it right the first time so he isn't much help with this subject. I feel that I could get a narrowed rear end cheaper than the real deal... If anyone knows of someone who can do this is SE South Dakota that would be good news as well... tnku

·
Registered
704 Posts
i would take one of them and just have it narrowed that way you can put the exact rims you want with the widest tires you can get, also go for the after market axels, they might be $300 but for that you get axel that you are basicly impossible to break it you buy the right ones, also you dont ever have to worry about running slicks or a transbrake and have to have a tow truck programed into you cell phone

·
Registered
779 Posts
I gave up finding a 8-3/4's rear end..........I have a friend in Winter Haven hooking me up with a Lincoln Versailles rear end. The good points are it's a ford 9" and has disc brakes. Of course, I still have to cut it down.
Jim

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd go with a B or C body 8.75 and have it cut. A body rears are going for way more than they're actually worth unless you're restoring an A body car. You best bet is probably the C body rear as long as it doesn't have the 3" wide brakes. Are any of them sure grips?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The B Body is a 489 Casing suregrip and I think one of the C's is a 742 casing and pretty sure that one was a suregrip. What about the cost to cut it, is there usually a standard...

·
Registered
177 Posts
What year B-body rear? I ask becuase I ran a 69 B-body 8 3/4 in my 75 Dart w/o cutting it down. All you have to do is get the right backspacing on your wheels. The 70 and earlier rears are narrower than the 71 and later ones and work great in an A-body w/o cutting them down. That way you can put your money in your motor. Just pull whichever center section you want and put it into the B-body if it is one of the narrower pre 71 models.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok that is good to hear. I asked my dad what he got it out of and he thought it to be either a 68 or 69 b body...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you are. In my search for an A body rear I found a guy in Lake Crystal, MN that is cutting the rears down to A body width or what ever width you want. He supplies the rear and cuts it down to your specs. $250.00, He is on ebay too. Thats how I found him. I have an E body rear housing and a 69 B body housing. I decided that if I'm going to get one cut down I'm going to get a Dana 60 cut. I have found it's easier to find a Dana 60 than a 8 3/4. Dana 60's came in all sorts of pickups. Ford dodge and some chevys.
The quotes I got for cutting down one of my 8 3/4 were anywhere from 175.00-225.00. I decided on going with the Dana 60 because then I will never have to worry about it. Right now I'm at 450hp and the 8 3/4 would be fine there but once I get up around 600hp the 8 3/4 won't hold up. Or even if I went to a trans brake now with 450hp I'd be worried, I think I'd still be on the safe side, might have to brace the 8 3/4 but I'd be alright. So, I eliminate all those worries going to a Dana 60. My 2cents.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say that Dana 60 rears are easier to find, how easy are you talking about? And what years of vehicles would I be checking?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its not easy I guess, I just think its easier than finding an 8 3/4. I know that most 3/4 ton fords in the mid-late 70's had the Dana 60, 4WD and 2WD. Dodge 3/4 pickups and vans had the Dana 60 in the 70's and early-mid eighties. Later in the eighties quite a few still had the Dana, but I'm not sure if it is all inclusive. Chevrolet 1 tons had the Dana in the late 70's but I don't really know for how long.

I have never been able to find a list of vehicles that came with the Dana 60 so what I say is only on what I've seen. I say they are easier to find because it seems like there are a wide varity of vehicles that came with the Dana 60 where the mopar 8 3/4 only came in chrysler products. keep in mind though that the dodge 1/2 pickup in the 60's had the 8 3/4. And a lot of those pickups had a posi rear.

Its just my opinion, but I know up here in ND there are a lot more 3/4 ton pickups lying around than Mopar B, C and E bodies.

Pete

·
Registered
320 Posts
I ran a B body rear in my 70 for a while, the only thing that you will need to do it move the spring perches. Measure the existing perches on the B housing that you have and it should measure 44 inches from hole to hole. This is exactly one inch wider then an A body rear pearch mount. If that's what you have your in business. If the rear came out of a later B (71+) your kinda stuck with having to narrow it though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm kinda running into the same problem, but not quite, I have a b-body 489 casting 8 3/4,with a sure grip, already (free). I'm debaitng on if I should have it cut down or not because money is tight and if I had it cut I could pick up a set of steel rims for like $50 a rim plus the $625 to have it cut and the new alxes to go with it and green berings installed, but if I don't have it cut then I'm stuck whith stock alxles and typicaly more expensive rims because of the back spacing required (the ones that I've found and liked are $200-220 rim) and new studs and rebuld kit, so help me decide, sorry I don't mean to steal your thread. But please help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am still 'up in the air' about what to do. I will not be doing anything right now. It is already snowing here in South Dakota and the garage is full so I need to put away for the winter. Hopefully I can preserve what I got. When February rolls around I will get more serious since I should be able to fund the differential project a little more. It sounds like I might be narrowing the axle from the C body though...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts