Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how much did it cost. Thinking about having some made up for my car. Just trying to get a ball park figure on how much something like that will set me back.

They don't make headers for my car. So they must be custom made. I have a set of custom headers that are on the car right now that a muffler shop did for me a long time ago. They look like crap. I'm pretty sure they are restricting me a bunch. some of them are smashed to an oval shape for clearance. The guy who made them was an idiot.

Anyone know hom much ET I can pick up with a more flowing exhaust system. All mandrel bent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
from a shop that fit them to your car. That is very cheap and very afforable.

I just got a quote from a guy that owns a shop here locally. He quoted me $1500-$2000 just headers alone.

this is what he wrote

Joey,
I appreciate your interest in having us do some work for you. I would say you could definately use a better flowing and better looking set of headers. You asked for a good price, I guess that depends on what you feel a good price is. A full custom set of tuned headers takes almost a full week to build and an average of $450 in materials. I do alot of custom headers and exhaust, in fact, I am doing a exhaust system in the shop now. Alot of people do not realize the amount of hours and materials that go into a job like this. If you are able to purchase a set of factory built headers for a car they are a fraction of the cost of custom built ones. They will not flow nearly as well or fit as well, but they will save you money. My shop labor rate is $55 per hour. The average set of headers cost between $1500 and $2000 depending on the car and size of tubing and other options that are available. Ceramic coating is available and encouraged, but does cost extra.

Thank you,

·
Registered
617 Posts
I checked around for prices on headers recently......and $1800-2400 was the price from two different shops.  Modifying an existing header was an option suggested by one of the shops that would cut the cost significantly........

NW prices

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm from the St. louis MO area. I'd like to see what the price ranges are from different parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I don't know why it would cost more to have headers fitted,the flanges have to be bolted to the heads pipes tack welded up taken off,welded up,colectors fitted welded up and final install to make sure they fit after they are welded up.

You guys on the east coast must have to pay top dollar for all your work.Jim Caughlin has been doing work around here for years.National record holder in his class,doe's alot of Vanderbecks header work,builds alot of superstock and stock class headers.

$800 for the headers does't include specialty collectors that can cost up to $800 per pair by themselves.But for a regular header like a Hooker Super Comp,the headers would be about $800.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had mine made by Steve Matukus in Bowling Green KY, for my 1964 A Body. They are 3 step, 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 to 2 with 3.5 collectors and turn outs. They cost 1500.00 to fabricate and another 350.00 for me to send them to Jet Hot and coat inside and out, returned with a lifetime warranty.

Car picked up almost a tenth and 1 mph and sounds much better. Beep Beep Out

G

·
$1500 is about the base going rate. That's what the big shops in MI charge around here. The tubing and collectors are expensive and the flanges should be about $100. It takes alot of time to get the tubes equal length and to fully weld around each of the tubes in varying spots.

·
Registered
196 Posts
12 to 1500 here for mild steal including materials
stainless is another 500 to 1000 depending on what you want _-_-_
As far as will you see much improvement, On a mild motor like yours I really think it would be about a tenth at the most. #^~!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here is what my headers look like now.

I know they suck........some of the tubes are pretty smashed for clearance. Look how they come out off the flange. Almost looks like manifolds. It's a right angle 90 degree. Not a smooth flow

You guys still think I'll gain a tenth

·
Registered
491 Posts
From the looks of it headers would be the first place to spend money. You may need to go fenderwell. You may also want to consider dropping a couple of tubes down in front of the crossmember like an FE motor. In fact, if you put a ford in that Ford you may be able to find a set of headers off the shelf.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine are custom built, step headers, 1-3/4, 1-7/8 to 2", with a mega phone merge collecter. Had them built in 2004. Local header builder, 8 miles from home. Cost $1000 , plus around $400 to be Jet-Hot coated inside and out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
$1500.00 and up for mild steel no coating is the average on the east coast for custom headers. Stainless will add about another $1,000.00. Is lemons near you? they charge right around $1300.00 for custom mild steel ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The headers on Dartsports car look like there wasn't too many obsticles. Your car though has the inner fenders and clearance might be tricky. But what blow my mind is the shop rate!!! Our shop rates out here in Santa Cruz CA is about $95-110 an hour, so you go broke when ever you need a shop to work on something. $1000-2000 sounds right depending on what kind of flow research they've done and the quality of there work. If its some guy in his garage then that sounds a little steap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, I fabbed up the driver side turbo header on mine . I got the flange from TTI ,3/8 inch, and the collectors  from magnum force and then bought mandrel bent tuning and straight tubing .Made a jig to bend round tubing to rectangle in my press, I tacked everthing together , then paid a guy to tig weld it together, to keep slag entering the turbo. Just need to ceramic coat the tubing now.

G

·
blown71duster said:
Yes, I fabbed up the driver side turbo header on mine . I got the flange from TTI ,3/8 inch, and the collectors from magnum force and then bought mandrel bent tuning and straight tubing .Made a jig to bend round tubing to rectangle in my press, I tacked everthing together , then paid a guy to tig weld it together, to keep slag entering the turbo. Just need to ceramic coat the tubing now.

Sure glad you`re changing the plugs on that thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts