Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finished my cage and frame connectors and spring relocation in my 74 duster. All I put in for a cage is the 8 point. No tubes through the fire wall to the front. Actually I haven't installed my door bars yet because I don't need the cage as I expect to run in the 7.6-7.9 range in the 1/8th. So I left the door bars out for now, easier to get in.

Question-- Am I safe to cut out my inner fenders. I have looked at two other dusters with 8 point cages no tubes to the front through the firewall, and they completely cut out their inner fenders and say its fine. But I would like some more opinions please. ???

Thanks tnku
Pete

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would be inclined to leave the fenderwells in until you finish the full cage......or put some bars up front. If it ever gets in the air, it could be game over for your front end. I removed mine after I had the firewall bars in....

·
Registered
20 Posts
i would say if you are removing the inner fenders, at the least, run front bars from the frame to the firewall and attach the bars to the firewall with plates. of course, tie in the shock tower too.

the best would be to run through the firewall to the cage. but, i think guys are safely running w/ scenerio #1.

maybe someone could chime in who just attached to the fire wall w/ plates.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think it would be safest to run a downtube from the firewall to the frame. Not much more work invlovled if your already doing a cage anyway. Just a few more welds. I would think that would be stronger than an inner fender.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I bought my old Duster, it had an 8 point cage, and the inner fenders were cut out completely. It was amazing the flex you could visibly see in the front end in just jacking the car up and setting it on jack stands. I would definitely recommend leaving them in until the cage is finished, or at least run some down bars from the firewall to the frame. There is a ton of support in the inner fenderwells. Once I finished the cage into the front of the car, it brought back all that much need support, and the car became so much more consistant as it was able to transfer the front end weight since before, it was having to deal with all the wasted motion of the flexing front end. Sorry for the long winded answer. My two cents-hope this help.
*wahz*

G

·
You need the shock towers braced if you cut them out. For a mild bracket car i wouldn't cut them out. The bars you would have to weld in will weigh more than the inner fenders. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess the only reason I wanted to cut them out is it looks like it would be easier to fit my big block 383 in there. I've looked at cars with 383s and 440s, with and without inner fenders. Looks to be a lot easier to fit in there without the inner fenders. I plan on trying to fit my b-body headers in there. I read the tech article saying it will work. I'll be using a front motor plate for mounting the engine.

Trying to use headers with the inner fenders in looks like a real tight fit. I know I could go to fender well headers but I'm trying to save a little money being I already have the b-body headers.

Any Advice??

Thanks for all the replys. Very good info!

Thanks,
Pete

G

·
Definitely tie in the front end to your cage if the inners are coming out , don`t forget the shock towers either .
Chryco ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts