Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what rear disc from what car or truck can i use on a 60 that i have to shorten for my 72 dart.The other question i have is what is a good length for the rear end (flange to flange) .The rear frame railes are 28" apart ,with a 4 link that will be going in it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check out the post "which housing ends" in the engine and drivetrain section. There are some picture of the "new style big ford ends" and the rear disc brake set up ford motorsports sells. The set up is less than $400.00 and the bolt pattern is 5 on 4 1/2 too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mischiefdart,,, Thank's for the info .Trying to get all the parts before i tear the dart apart.owned it since it was new .Got it in 72 when i got out of the army.It has only 64K on it thanks again .

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's quite a makeover for a car you've had for 34 years. What did the car come with factory? My '70 Dart is minitubbed with a dana 60 with 4.10's, a 727 and a rebuilt 400. I bought it a little over a year ago as an unfinished project and hope tp drive it soon. The motor is still at the machine shop and allmost ready to be assembled. The dana in my car had old big ford ends and they don't work with the motorsports kit. I adapted allmost the same rear brakes off a lincoln town car. It required chaging the bolt pattern on the caliper brackets but fits nice. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mischiefdart; The dart was a stock swinger /6 two door.I did the front brake upgrade.I have the tubs ,frame rails,4 link,and a 10 point bar
setup.The only thing i haven't decided is to what length to cut the rear.The frame railes are going to be 28" apart.I would like to put 14-16
wide tires under it.i'm building a 400 to, putting 440 crank in it .It should come to 452.I'll probibly have to buy rims first ,then measure how wide the rear end will be.Good luck in your project,its going to take a while to do mine.I'm doing everthing myself.The only good thing is i work in a machine shop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would look at the wheels you like and see what rearspace's are available. The rear was allready narrowed before I bought my Dart so I don't get to choose the width. I need to run 3 1/2" rearspace wheels to have the rims pretty well centered in the minitubs. There is a much better selection of wheels in 4 1/2" so take a look. I went with the stock stroke to keep the peak piston speed down. Plus I picked up a forged 383 crank in great shape for $75 off E-bay including the shipping. I bought the 440source H-beams for the low deck and I plan to rev it to 6,000 if I can get the heads to work at that speed. If not I will upgrade later. My Dart also started life a /6 auto with 7 1/4" rear and 4 9" drums. I don't work at a machine shop but I do have a bridgeport mill and a morris lathe in my garage. They are handy tools to have. Good luck with ypur project...Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mischiefdart - Sorry to bump the thread over a little, but could I get more info on the Lincoln disc brakes you used on your 60. Year used, size problems, positive points etc. Thanks,
Daryl

·
Registered
164 Posts
Daryl I think they were off an '02 but I will have to check because the yard rear was a different year than the town car I was working on. It was not a simple deal to change the bolt patern. I only went that route because I had nothing into them and I was curious If they would work. Also I fear the aftermarket quality and fit and the only kits available for the early big ford ends use those lousey calipers with the built in E-brake and they are $600.00. But back to the modification. I used my milling machine and a boring head to space and size the holes. I could not just drill them because the new patern slightly intersected the old one. They are held on with 1/2" studs so I am not concerned with them moving or coming loose. I would use the ford motorsports kit if I had the late ends. I would look for used explorer brakes if you allready have early big ford ends and are up to modifying them. They are basically what comes in the motorsports kit and would probably be an easier way to go. I am not sure what years they came on but the bolt patern is much closer than the brakes I used and they have a smaller stud so taking it out to 1/2" and moving over just a bit would not be as big a deal. What ends do you have? I don't have a digital camera but I could try to post some pics if I can get someone to do it for me. You can E-mail me at [email protected] if you have more questions. Thanks for your interest.......Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mischiefdart; Well i bought that svo rear brake kit from strange ,and the large ford ends.I'll tell everbody they came off a jeep, lol.
I also found a set of weld wheels.14"wide with a 3.5"back space.So with everthing togeather i can cut the rear.It will be 42" fl. to fl.
That wil give me about 1"cl. inside the wheel wells.Well that will give me enough to do for awhile.Take it easy, Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Back in '72 chysler used to sell 44.5" housings for the pro stock cars. If my car had the late big ford ends I would have bought the svo brakes. I like that they are standard ford parts and that you can get replacements allmost anywhere. The brakes I used are basically the same rotor, caliper and E-brake only a different hanger. Joe are you doing all the chassis work yourself including narrowing the rear? If so you do have a lot to do. I am just finishing up a '70 Harley FLH then I will attack the Dart again. I have to ballance and true up the flywheels and finish assembling the bottom end. The rest of the bike is just about done. Well have at it.........Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mischief; I'm doing all the work myself,since i have access to a machine shop.I'll will start work on it about 4 weeks .I have a harley to ,its a 2000 wide glide with a revtech 113 inch in it .Not good for trips but good for bar hopping.The only thing left to do on the car that i don't have parts for is the fuel cell.They have a 16 gal. that will fit between the 28" rails.After all that work is done i'll have someone start on the body .i'm not a body man.The only thing it needs is some lower quater panels and front lowerfender panels.then put the new vinal roof back on.Haven't decided on color yet. Its blue rite now. Well take it easy good luck with the bike. Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Joe What part of the country you from? I am in S.E. PA. I enjoy having machines out in the garage. I also know a few people with big machines if I can't fit the job on one of mine. I am just an amature but can make some complicated stuff. The engine is in the bike now and I just have to button a few things up and I can get back on the Dart. Sounds like your Dart is coming along well. I like weld wheels. I think I will run the rodlites on my car but I only need 15 by 10's to fill the mini tub. Dave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The disc i use on my dana are ones from a lincon and calipers from a rear dics caddy,with brackets from I think SBC,gwn

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mischiefdart;
Hey Dave,I live here in west texas.but am from Mass. I have a lot of family from Pa.(Gettysburg).My mother is from Pa.Well
I'm just about to get started on the car.I pre welded the sub frame connectors and the rear frame and the 4 link brackets all togeather.
I'm going to put it in as one unit .They sent me the wrong ends,they sent me the early ford ends.(little set back)O well.Still haven't cut
the floor yet.Taking it to shop and use plasma cutter.Well i'll let you no if i make any more progress with it.
take it easy Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts
Joe I have the harley on the road. I finished it about 3 am on Saturday and put allmost 750 miles on it this week. The weather here was outstanding! Nice and sunny but also cool enough to keep the motor happy. The motor is pretty well broken in now. I don't have the electric start hooked up yet so I have been kicking it. I could really tell when the motor was tuned properly and when the rings were past the initial tightness as I was starting it with the kicker. That sucks they sent the early ends. I wish I had the late ones but the brake set up I have is about the same thing. Have fun putting it your four link! Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts