Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I just got my dana 60 truck rear end back from the shop. I had it shortend to stock 8 3/4 dimensions for a 73 A-Body. I was wondering if anyone know what the new axle size should be so i can order them up. Also what junk yard car can i use for the drum brakes ( I had 8 3/4 end caps put onto the dana 60).

Thanks for help,
Ron.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would go with the biggest "C" body cop car (heavy duty) brakes I could find.
They'll bolt to the ends you have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Big B brakes or C brakes will work. If you cannot find a donar car, you can go two directions w/ this. One is that you can buy 'new' backing plates, and then build out from there, or the more $$$ route is a rear disc conversion.

It is a little late now, but when choosing the ends for a Dana, you can go the FORD end route, and pick up the SVO kit for not a lot of dollars more than what it will cost you to stay w/ stock drums.

Bottom line, everything you need is available new if need be...

Sharpdart

·
Registered
75 Posts
just curious, what did it cost to have your axle narrowed? I have a 3/4 ton axle laying around that I could put under my Duster but it needs about 5" cut off both ends.

G

·
Sharpdart said:
It is a little late now, but when choosing the ends for a Dana, you can go the FORD end route, and pick up the SVO kit for not a lot of dollars more than what it will cost you to stay w/ stock drums.
Sharpdart
I'm curious about this, could you please go into a little more detail about this.....

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
67devildart said:
Sharpdart said:
Sharpdart
I'm curious about this, could you please go into a little more detail about this.....

My Big late ford ends.

The related big bearings on 35 spline axles.

Ford Explorer brake kit approx $375 from Summit.

Tom

Ron; you should be able to measure the distance in the axle tube plus center section engagement plus the spacing required for drum brakes from the face of axle tube flange to the axle flange. Someone here must have that spacing dimension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having my dana narrowed to stock A body width. Reusing my Yukon 8 3/4 axles that I just purchased last year. Yea, my dana was a 30 spline trac-Lock. Lucky me I guess. Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi this is dartkevin i have all the brake parts that you will need if you are looking to purchase.Have the large C body heavy duty 8 3/4 -DANA  11 inch brake set up with the 11- 2 1/2 brake backing plates with all the hardware and the brake drums.The parts are in very good cond this will get you ready for the axle to bolt in. Send me a e mail were you are located will send out total price for parts and shipping will be there in 2 to 3 days.   MOPARS RULE!  248-476-7008
[email protected]

G

·
rt66jim said:
I'm having my dana narrowed to stock A body width. Reusing my Yukon 8 3/4 axles that I just purchased last year. Yea, my dana was a 30 spline trac-Lock. Lucky me I guess. Jim
I thought Danas used 2 different length axles as opposed to 8 3/4 same size. Did you have the axle shortened without offset to use those axles? I too had a Dana cut to stock size and have Moser axles but mine was cut with standard 1 3/8 offset?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi guys, Ok my dana is now 52 inchs from houseing flange to houseing flange. Passengers side is 25 5/8'' and drivers side is 26 5/8''. This sound cool? Also should i just order up some custom 30 spline axles or should i upgrade to 35 splines? i do believe that my stock axles are 30 spline.

Thanks,
Ron. BBD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.