Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how hard it is to cut the ends off a Dana from a truck and put it under an a body? I know I would need new axles and move the spring purches etc. But what about the backing plates and brakes?

Has anyone ever attempted this before? and if so with what kind of success?

Thanks Randy

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
As for brakes, It is popular to put the late big Ford ends on them and run Ford Explorer brakes. The brake kit is only $375 at Summit or Ford Motorsports and an e-brake. I can get you picks if you want. The end requires the nice big Ford bearings also.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Yea if you can get me some pics that would be great. Ill check out summitt, I suppose Jegs would have them as well? tnku

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
69dartswinger440 said:
Thanks, Yea if you can get me some pics that would be great. Ill check out summitt, I suppose Jegs would have them as well? tnku
Here you go.

Ford Explorer brakes. The e-brake is in the hat of the drum.

Ford Bearings. The axle seal is vulcanized on the perimeter of the bearing.

Late big Ford end. The flange spacing for the axles and these brakes is 2.5".

Tom

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i have a dana in both of my darts. one i had narrowed, the other i did myself. one has 10" drums the other 11" drums. they come off of just about any mopar. there are kits out there that use factory parts and the mopar housing ends. a guy by the name of doctordiff or diffdoctor has a really nice kit. it uses a billet bracket, cobra calipers with the parking brake built in and a toyota rotor. its a good price for discs, i believe it comes in 11 3/4" and 13" and is also pretty light. comparable to willwood, but more of a street setup. if i go with rear discs that will be the setup, but the drums work well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pictures. What about a dana from a dodge van? I remember when I was a kid my dad bought a van that had 1 ton suspension with regular bolt pattern wheels. Im pretty sure it was a dana, but cant remember.

Does this sound right or was it some other kind of rear end.?

If it was a dana it would already have all the factory drums etc. it would just need the axles shortened, or new ones?

Anybody got any ideas about this???

TX

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i wouldnt count on that one but i guess you never know. you also have to watch out for vans, i think they have a lot of engine/driveline offset, be sure to measure the passenger side tube and make sure it is long enough for you, i think one of mine came from a van, but check it out first.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have only seen full floater axle dana's (8 lug nuts) in dodge trucks and vans. It could have been a 9 1/4 in the van your dad bought.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose that would be better than the 7 1/4 thats under it now? I know it wont last long behind the 440.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
speaking of Dana's...this is what Ive been looking at to replace the 8.25 in my ride....
http://www.strangeengineering.net/newprod/moparboltins.html

however Im hoping you folks might have some ideas of a less expensive place to purchase or at least be able to tell me what comparable costs are for having a truck rear cut down and fitted.

I like the thought of the explorer brakes on the back, so chances are good thats what Id be looking to do. whats the ballpark cost for doing such a thing to a truck axle vs buying a bolt-in setup?

not looking for quotes, just an idea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HEY guy's here is my 2 cents worth, I bought a DANA 60 truck housing and I am still in the process of having it cut down
buy the ends, have the 4-link plates welded on shock mount plates welded, blasted and power coated, spool, axles, bearings, gears
ect, ect and so on. oh I forgot it has been at the shop being "set-up" for 7 weeks now. I will have right at 1500 in it and have spent
way too much time and effort (close to 16 weeks now!). In my opion the 1800 bucks for a strange S-60 is the way to go, I know it is a lot of cash but you will spend it in the long haul if you do it right and the trun around time will not be as long. again my humble 2 cents worth. save your money and make one phone call.

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
my thinking (and fears on the 7 weeks) exactly. not to mention hoping those doing the work know what they're doing.

isnt it amazing what two cents can be worth? tnku

thanks

CJ

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
BARRACUDABILLY said:
HEY guy's here is my 2 cents worth, I bought a DANA 60 truck housing and I am still in the process of having it cut down
buy the ends, have the 4-link plates welded on shock mount plates welded, blasted and power coated, spool, axles, bearings, gears
ect, ect and so on. oh I forgot it has been at the shop being "set-up" for 7 weeks now. I will have right at 1500 in it and have spent
way too much time and effort (close to 16 weeks now!). In my opion the 1800 bucks for a strange S-60 is the way to go, I know it is a lot of cash but you will spend it in the long haul if you do it right and the trun around time will not be as long. again my humble 2 cents worth. save your money and make one phone call.
I bought the S60. Note that their price doesn't include shipping. That cost me just under $200. Ended up being about $2150 with a Locker. Ouch.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
but youre relatively sure that its the last one you'll ever have to buy, yes? I've heard pretty good things about the S60 and Strange Eng in general.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My past experence with strange products has been good.
I bought my spool and axle package and installation kit, yoke ect
from strange for my 68 cuda project. The only thing I am not sure of is will
strange weld the four link plates on a S60 housing? If you are using
spring pearches no big deal, I know they do that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.