Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know anything about the dana70 rear. I have access to one and it looks like it came out of a mopar car judgeing by the perches.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't think any cars ever came with a dana 70. That's what my crewcab dually has and it's huge. Dana 60's came in cars and trucks. Can you post any pics?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have pics . my brotherinlaw has it . I looked at it and it has 5 lug axels and car perches. It also looks like it came that way.The perches lookfactory welded

·
Super Moderator
1,436 Posts
I have a Dana 44 under my half ton Ram. Seems pretty solid and I can surely see how it could be mistaken for a car setup if it was off the truck. the cover is very dana-like but is shaped more like a stop sign.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I once put Dana 44's in a jeep i built. They are good axles and all parts are readily available

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
704 Posts
we had a dana 70 in the rear of our 4x4 '93 ram 3500, hard to find bearings for

a dana 44 is a great rear (or front) end, lots of off roaders upgrade from their dana 30 or 35 rear end which come in the front or both of wranglers, i think Cherokees come with a 35 front and 44 rear, and wranglers 30 front and 35 rear, 44s are great, lots of gears and lockers available

·
Registered
704 Posts
from what i hear its basically a dana 60 with stronger internals, also some might have a 6 lug truck pattern

·
Registered
490 Posts
Geez, i wouldn't go saying that a Dana 44 is stronger than a 60. The physical size of the pumkin is quite a bit smaller

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dana 70's are full on truck rear ends. Full floating axles, 10 1/2" ring gear, and 1.75 pinion diameter. The 44 is a light truck rear end. 8 1/2" ring gear and 1.376" pinion diameter. I would prefer to have a 8 3/4 over a 44. A bit stronger and ease of the drop out for gear change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How would one bolt up in say a 70 dart? Would it be enough rear end for a mild BB? I am curious because of having access to some.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i would say it would hold up fine, but there is alot lighter weight ways of doing the same strength

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can narrow a 70 just like a dana 60. These were found in dually trucks. It is heavier than a 60 ouch. The parts are custom and you are going to end up with a cross bred mutt that cost more than it was worth. There is nothing wrong with a truck rearend just get the one that parts are readily available for. Anything you save will be lost in the weight you gained and additional cost of dana 70 parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
67bcuda said:
I dont have pics . my brotherinlaw has it . I looked at it and it has 5 lug axels and car perches. It also looks like it came that way.The perches lookfactory welded
If its 5 lug, its not a 70 unless someone wasted a bunch of time and money converting it. The 60 and 70 share the same diff cover, so its hard to identify by the cover. Look on the center section just above the pinion and it will tell you what it is. My bet is its a Dana 44 (10 bolt cover) or if your lucky a semi-float 60 (12 bolt cover) out of a Jeep J-20. If it is the D60 it has 35 spline axles and 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern. Good score if so. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.