Anyone know which years of 2 dr/ht doors will swap with a '67 dart 2dr/ht door? I'm asking because I was thinking of eliminating the vent window assembly of the '67 by just swapping to a later door. Is this possible?
Ok, I'm bringing this up again because I just got finished putting a couple of 74 Dart doors on my 69, so I thought I'd just share with you guys how it went since this question has come up a few times...
1. As far as bolting them up, not a problem. They had to be adjusted a little to close right, but that was it.
2. The interior panels are way different; you'll have to use the later ones or make your own (that's what I did).
3. The top piece above the door panel is removable plastic, unlike the earlier doors, which were metal and were integral with the door frame. It won't look exactly right unless you get the plastic pieces that go over the backseat panels.
4. Mirror fits the same.
5. If the doors did not come with the outside handles and locks (like mine), you can reuse the earlier ones, but you have to use the internal parts from the newer doors because they aren't the same.
6. It's hard to tell if weatherstripping is an issue at this point because mine is pretty trashed, but it looks like the fit is ok.
7. There was chrome trim along the top of the upper piece on my old doors which are not on these, so it contrasts a little because of the trim that runs along the back windows. I don't know if the old trim can be made to fit, but I am going to try; if it doesn't, I'm just going to take off the back trim.
8.It was my intention to weigh both the old and new doors to see what differences there were, but I forgot. The later doors seemed a bit heavier; if this is the case, I think it's because there is thick inner safety bracing which is not in the older doors. The differences in the regulators may have something to do with it, also.
It doesn't look like it, but it's hard to tell because of the non-removable upper metal piece on the older doors. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible; seeing as how the dimensions of the doors are pretty much the same. The regulators are a lot different, though.... :-\
The doors I used apparently came from two different years because the window mechanicals were different, then the guy that painted my car lost one of the new windows, nice huh? So I had to find another window and mechanism and make it fit in the door. So be sure you either get the doors off the same car or that they at least have the same roll up mechanisms (cuts down on the confusion). I ended up going with electric windows and from electric life and had to modify them to work.
I like both looks with and with out the vent window. I've heard that if you remove the vent window it is harder for a thief to gain access to the inside of your car, but if they know how to use a slim jim or "jimmy" than I guess its pointless. I've also seen a lot of VW bettles remove the vent windows in the 80's out in California.