Big Block Dart Forums banner

Dart/Scamp Tire size

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  thewhitezombie 
#1 ·
Whats the biggest tire I can fit in the back of a 71 Scamp with out cutting or moving the springs ? I would consider using the offset kit but I dont want to cut the frame rails and mini tub it.

Im hoping I can get a 255-60-15 on a 15X7" rim with 4.5" backspacing.

#6 ·
Adam I pm'd you back with my slick combo. My slicks 26x9.50x15 Quick Time Pros on Draglites with 15x8, 5 1/2 backspace and a 5/16th inch spacer. My street tires a BFGoodies 245x60x15's on 15x7 steelies that are 3 3/4 backspace. I have the 3/4" spring relocation on the Swinger.

G
#8 ·
mopar stu said:
     i think it depends on the backspacing of the rims,that must be where the confusion is.                                                                                                                                                                                                               ive boiled dozens of sets of 255's on 7's and gone 100+ m.p.h.  on them daily with no problems  0/
  Does not mean its safe! You will have too much sidewall bulge,which can cause heat problems and premature wear! Not to mention if you EVER need to turn a corner you will get sidewall "pinch" which is also very dangerous.  Look at the section width of a 245+ series tire and compare it to that of your 7 in wheel......pretty scary stuff doh   All I know is that in the shop I work at, we will not put anything bigger than a 235 on a 7 in wheel for safety reasons,in fact we are restricted from doing so by the tire manufacturers. What you do is up to you,but I wouldnt let any friends or family ride in MY car with such tire/wheel conditions,because I would fear for their safety!

#9 ·
Never once Have I heard of a tire manufacturer recommend that the rim width be equal to section width. Its always been + ot - 1" of tread width other wise they would want you to run a 10 to 12" rim on a 275-60-15 not a 8 to 10" rim like they all recomend.

Heres the specs on the tire I want to run.

Rim Diameter (in): 15 in.
Tire Size: 255/60-15
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Tire Construction: Radial
Directional: Yes
Tire Diameter (in): 27.10 in.
Minimum Recommended Rim Width (in): 7.00 in.
Maximum Recommended Rim Width (in): 9.00 in.
Tread Width (in): 8.80 in.
Section Width (in): 10.70 in.
Recommended Rim Width: 7-9 in.
Tire Size 1: 255
Tire Size 2: 60
Asymmetrical Tread Pattern: No
Tube Required: No
Belt Construction: Steel-belted
Tire Compound: R2
Roll Out (in): 85.00 in.

G
#10 ·
i used to sell goodyear and dunlop tires,they never put any restrictions like that on us.trust me i have driven this car to it's fullest capabilities on a regular basis on these tires with no excessive bulge,wear or saftey issues.curious as to what manufacturer put those limitations on you,care to share?

G
#13 ·
mopar stu said:
so what would be  the max. width you would put on a 6" and a 5" rim?
6 in would be 215,and I think that the 5 in would be 205's. I was certified through Michelin,and thats what they teach us. Like I said, do what you want,but from what I have been taught,and personal experiance with tires too big for the wheels they go on; Ill stick with what I know.
-0*(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.