Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was working on the dash today, and had a question about the pads. My car is a GT so it had the lower pad as well. My original intention was to do away with the lower pad, since I smoothed the ash tray. But, what I noticed today is that the upper pad appears to be made to fit to the lower pad.

I thought about just putting the lower pad back on, but noticed that it has the cut out for my now missing ash tray. I can't win. doh

So, for the non GT/GTS cars, is the upper pad different?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jim, I am need of a new dash pad. Does that mean that a pad from a 76 will fit on my 67?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'll jump in. The 69-76 pad will fit a 67, but the original 67 pads had a contour line on the top, back about an inch from the edge, which wasn't on the later pads.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So it will fit, but won't be "correct" for a 67. How will I ever be able to sleep? Just kidding, but some people actually feel that way. boom[]

·
Registered
704 Posts
i am also looking for a dash pad for my 72 duster to replace the old crack gold one with a black one

i see that year one just raised the pad from 275 to 350,

should i buy this or are there better deals that come around on ebay every once in a while?

also how do you remove the stock one?, i have looked and looked but cant find out how

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
There are five nuts on the back side of the dash frame along the front upper lip and two small screws at the ends of the pad. The instrument cluster, glove box, speaker need to be removed (possibly the heater control and radio too - it's been too long since I removed one from a dash in the car).
You pretty much need to disassemble the entire dash. You might be able to get it out if you are some what of a contortionist, but the nuts and bolts are up in there pretty good...

I saw that price at year one, what a joke... ::)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just Dashes is probably the best source for dashes www.justdashes.com Another option is to have your dash refurbished at an upholstery shop. If the shop can follow the contours with a marine grade fabric it will last longer. I had a dash recovered over the original material, it looks good except the extra thickness is noticeable to me no one else has noticed.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can someone shoot me a pic of a 73 or so dash pad?

Jim (or anyone), the 68 top pad ends sort of squared off, because the lower pad meets up to it. How do the 69-up pads look at the lower corners where the 68 top would meet with the bottom? I am assuming they just tapered it off to a point, or??

Thanks all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone used the dash pad cap? I've heard good and bad, that they do not cover the edges well around the door also, that there hard to put in.

Has anyone had any luck with them or even better has some pics to post.

Also, whats a good suplier for the dash pads, My 69 dart's dash is in bad shape.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used a dash cap on my '67 and I think it looks great. I'd have to look up the company I bought it from but it was very cheap, I think it was like $50 if I remember correctly. Someone had put one on my Chally and you can tell but not real noticable. But the little dash pad on the A-body cars is so small that coverage is good and it is vertually un-noticable. I've spent a pretty penny on my car over all but couldn't see the advantage of a 6 week plus turn around time and $300 plus price tag from a place like Just Dashes. It was very easy to do, mine was out of the car anyway so I'm sure that helped.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dash pad quality is not the issue. The 68 pad I have, is mint, but I want to ditch the lower pad because I smoothed everything, and the ash tray is now gone. So I need a 69-up pad to do this. I would use the 68 if I could.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The 69 and up pad does taper to the bottom of the dash. The only difference I have noticed with some of the later stock pads is the grain.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts