Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was at the micky D's drive thru i had my new radio going in the car, and let it be known i don't have no power hungry speaker set up it does sound nice.

well ne ways i'm sitting there idling and i notice my amps start to drop and next thing i know the car dies. the alternator could not charge the battery at all. I ended up having to get a jump to get teh car going and when my buddy jumped the demon, it really put a strain on his car.

would a 75amp alternator push the radio even when i go to put my new Infinity's into the car and i also plan on putting around a 10" Infinity sub along with a 600watt amp. what type of Alternator would yall say to go with?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm asking how many amps would i need ona new alternator to be able to properly and effectivly charge the battery if i have a stereo system running in that car?

other electric things i got is my fuel pump and that's pretty much it

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used to run the radio in my car all the time while idling. I think your alt. just died. Try to find a rebuilder in your area that can rebuild it with a higher rating (no parts store garbage). Shoot for 100 amps, but upgrade your wiring and ditch the ammeter, that thing is a fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lars said:
I used to run the radio in my car all the time while idling. I think your alt. just died. Try to find a rebuilder in your area that can rebuild it with a higher rating (no parts store garbage). Shoot for 100 amps, but upgrade your wiring and ditch the ammeter, that thing is a fire waiting to happen.
i will take a look into that not really sure of any local shops who do that.

if all else fails i guess i will just go with a powermaster

G

·
Personal opinion - Powermaster sucks. They still discharge at idle - that's a problem with the design. Go with a GM alt - preferably a one wire and your problems will be solved.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ciscodog said:
Personal opinion - Powermaster sucks.  They still discharge at idle - that's a problem with the design.  Go with a GM alt - preferably a one wire and your problems will be solved.
you got a part number on what i can cross over? i was planning a 1 wire hook up period.

G

·
http://www.ecae.com

I picked up the 120 amp mini one wire #2003.  They cost a bit more, but well worth it.  Haven't had a charger hooked to the car in 3 years.  Of course it hasn't run for the past 12 months LOL

Really tho - these guys are the heat.  I'll buy their stuff over and over.  You'll have to fab some brackets, but that's really easy. You can DO it!!! LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 105amp from east coast alternator, same link as above, the brackets were a little bit of a pain but it works great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i re wired the radio to my fuse block, i ran the radio all day and it seemed to be working ok, i even subjected myself to drive thru with the radio on to see of the car would die, and no she kept on running.

So maybe i can put off the alternator until i get a amp for my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.