Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start working on my 74 Duster soon, I'm gonna swap in one of my spare SB engines to get it on the road. I'm gonna to do the bodywork last, but there are a couple things on the body I have to fix before I can get it on the road. One of them being the tail panel is dented in pretty good. I have a set of body hammers and dollies, but the trunk bracing is covering enough of the panel that I can't really get to it like I need too. So as I see it I have two options, get a spotweld cutter, remove the panel and straighten it on the bench, or get one of those stud welders that weld the pin onto the panel so that you can pull it out with a slide hammer. The downside to this is the stud welder is much more expensive then the spotweld cutter, the upshot however is that I can use the stud welder to pull some of the dents in my quarters later on so that I may not need full skins when I start on the bodywork. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the dent puller, but it really costs more then I want to spend (trying to do this car super cheap).

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't seen those before. May have to check them out.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Stud-pullers work great, but in tools, specifically body work tools......you get what you pay for....a good quality puller will last forever, even in afull time :D body shop

·
Registered
15 Posts
i got one from harbor frieght..... ive only used it a few times ( on my tail panel..and a few other places) but it works fine... it was the cheaper one of the two

4speeddemon

G

·
0 Posts
I bought the cheap harbor freight one and have been using it for a couple of years. I buy the replacement studs at my local paint supplier. The only gripe I had about mine is the cheap slide hammer it comes with. Get a better slide hammer to pull the studs with and you will like it.

I must have use a hundred studs on my GTS once I figured out how to use it. I pulled a scratch / dent across the rear of my deck lid that was almost 2 feet long! Think like a keyed paint job. Just the key pushed the metal in almost a half inch. I would have had to trash this deck lid if not for the stud puller. One of the best buys I made while doing the body work on my GTS. I waited till it went on sale and picked it up for $80 something dollars.

-Dave

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good feedback. I got a 20% off the purchase of one item coupon that I have to use before Sunday. Maybe I'll go get one.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah this is good news for me too! I may end up getting one, maybe my 1/4's won't look so hammered after all.

·
Registered
724 Posts
rjsjea said:
Stud-pullers work great, but in tools, specifically body work tools......you get what you pay for....a good quality puller will last forever, even in afull time  :D body shop
rjsjea, I hear what you say and it's true for all tools. But.... I love doing body work like I love getting the flu so I would use a tool like that only once in a while for my own cars. (or the first buddy who asked to borrow it) I use harbor freight oddball tools for things I do ocasionally.

ski

1 - 9 of 9 Posts