Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MSD billet distributor in my 440 Cuda with a Mopar 6al box and i can'tstop it from corroding.I realize it is due to the high voltage and it is doing a nice job of corroding everything.I heard one sugggestion is to drill a couple holes in the cap.If I try this what size of hole should I drill and where.Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.JEDS67

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have the MSD pro billet distributor on my 383 and it corroded pretty bad. It does already have a breather cap on it (at least mine does)

What I did was to replace the Cap and Rotor with a new set (from Summit), cleaned all the components in the base, and then I applied dielectric grease ( Mobil 28 ) on the Rotor contacts area, and last, I also sealed the incoming line (two wires) port with clear Silicone paste.

So far, so good.

Mobil 28:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Aviation/PDS/GLXXENAVIEMMobilgrease_28.asp

---

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the same corrosion problem on my 8534 dist, it is currently at MSD. When MSD was contacted about the problem they gave me a repair number, The dist should be back this week at no cost to me except shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have '68 Dart and having corrosion issues on the distributor. I was trying to find a solution on this community until I chanced upon this thread about dielectric grease. I was intrigued about it since I never knew there is this kind of special grease the you can apply on electrical components. I tried to search more about it and found there are lots of other dielectric grease applications. Check this site: https://motoringcrunch.com/reviews/dielectric-grease Basically I cleaned the distributor where there are corrosion build up and applied it. I also applied to to other electrical components such as alternator terminals, battery terminals and fuse box connectors. It's a small thing to have but a big thing for such use.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also, by venting the cap it cuts down on the chance of carbon tracking on the inside of the cap. Think back to the original electronic distributors, they had carbon tracking problems because of non vented caps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts