Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use a 1999 Dodge diesel alternator - does anyone know how to wire in a voltage regulator for this beast? It puts out 140A all the time! When the battery reached 19volts, I turned everything off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
what are you trying to use it on?I'm guessing the dodge trucks use an external regulator?Seems the 140A ones we have on the freghtliner /cummins or the international's are regulated intenally or through the ecm.I guess the dodge trucks could be different.We run delivery fleet trucks.Can you give description of regulator or pics?Does the alt. run 1 wire hot 1 wire grnd. and maybe several others for regulation?Give a littl more info I'm sure somebody will be able to figure it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure the alternator was controlled by the powertrain control module on the Dodge truck. The alternator has 2 wires to the field coil, and I put one to 12v and the other to ground. The output lug of the alternator is wide open - it makes plenty of amps! I guess I just need to add an external voltage regulator. Any idea how to wire it in?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check with your local independent alternator rebuilder. My local guy has a small 2" regulator that they can mount to the outside back of the alternator, 1 or 2 wires go inside the alternator and get hooked up. They do it to alternators that are controlled by the computer, sometimes when the alternator goes bad, it hurts the regulator that is built into the computer, and some of my customers don't want to pay the couple of hundred dollar price for a new computer. I have had a few alternators replaced with the external regulater added to the outside. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the tip. You've been a lot of help. Would you mind sending me the phone number of your local guy with the 2" regulator? I'd like to buy one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe that conversion calls for a FORD external regulator, not sure why cept maby to simplify matters, call these guys, they set my friend up with this swap for a 71 charger and even hooked him up with a V pully to fit it.

J S Alternator & Starter Supply Inc
Highway 99 & Airpo North, Eugene, OR 97401
(541) 461-0081

1 - 7 of 7 Posts