Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? Does anyone make 2" drop spindles for A or B body Mopars with the stock suspention? tnku

·
Registered
613 Posts
The Fatman pieces are based on F-Body pieces (Volare). I don't know if I'd characterize them as junk. Here's an article where they installed them on a Chebby truck with Mopar suspension.

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0206ct_fatman_dropped_spindles_subframes/index.html

I traded emails with a shop in Australia that makes a version. http://www.rodshop.com.au/ Guy was very cool and loves Mopars but aside from the fact that they're pricier than the Fatman units, the cost to ship them here wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The following is a cut and paste from a couple of emails from a guy on the MOPAX list. His name is Dr. Bob Reed. He was an IMSA and SCCA Pro racer for Mazdza in the 80's. He is doing this modification to the lower control arm to lower the car and improve hadling. I'm not sure what he charges to modify the LCA's. I'm not that far along in my project. It might be worth looking into. Shoot him an email. He is a very helpul and knowlegable guy.

[email protected]

"I don't like Fat Man dropped spindles very much as the upper ball joint is still way up there and consequently the front roll center is not in a good position. The best way to lower the car and get the roll center where you want is to section the lower control arm, raise the lower ball joint and re-weld the thing in place. I would raise the lower ball joint at least one inch, maybe, with a good welder, 1.5". You won't be able to get the car much lower than 5" where the front subframe curves up to clear the lower control arm.

Gary: I section the LCA just outboard of the shock mount, put it in a jig raising the outer ball joint 1" and then weld it all back together. When you section the arm, you remove roughly 1/8" of metal so I do not put the 2 pieces back together, I leave the space and fill it with weld. In fact, it is a benefit to make the space even wider as it is hard to get negative camber in our cars. I brace the new pieces in their new positions and they should be just as strong or stronger than stock if done well. I use an oilfield (this is Bakersfield by the way) welder so I don't worry about the welds being poor."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts