Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wilwood brakes mention not to use Dot 5 fluid. My master cylinder say the same. Why? You read about everyone changing to Dot 5. Who is right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been using dot 5 silicone brake fluid in 5 cars Ive built all using wilwood master cylinders and slave cylinders and have never had a problem with any of them. I use it to keep the dot 3 off my paint, also used it in a 48 Lincoln convertible coupe for the power windows and top and have never had a problem. I would say use it and dont worry. until one of my cars fails from using it instead of dot 3 I will keep using it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only main performance difference I've heard between DOT 3 and 5 is that DOT 5 compresses slightly more than 3, which makes the pedal a little softer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been thinking about switching to DOT 5 myself. The only warning I hear reiterated over and over is that DOT 5 is more susceptible to absorbing water.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I was told that it is more prone to leaks and absorbs water. I guess you have to look at the pro. If the master cylinder goes south it wont strip the paint inside your car. My 66 belvedere is a rust free Tx car but the master cylinder leaked down the inside of the firewall. It then wicked the entire inside of the car. No rust other than surface rust but it will need bead blasted. :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
So then the concern must be that any water/condensation in the system will act like all other water and oil mixes , creating pockets of water in the DOT 5.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thats why when you change to dot 5 it is recomended you flush your system with alcohol to dry up any water in the line then add the dot 5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts