Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying some skinnies for the front of my car and know of some that are Mickey Thompson ET Fronts. How much can I run these on the street or would these be a Drag Only? I know they would have a short life due to the tread compound being soft I presume. Any one run Drag only front runners on the street and know how they do?

G

·
Why not save some cash and get some 165R/15s, like the Dayton Metrics on my car? They cost me under $100 for the pair, mounted and balanced. That's my opinion on the MTs.

plus, i think they are bias ply.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check out the new MT s/r's. They are a frontrunner w/ radial construction instead of bias. I bought a set for the dart, still waiting for them though.

Drew

·
Registered
305 Posts
drew54 said:
Check out the new MT s/r's.  They are a frontrunner w/ radial construction.
I'll second that about the MT S/R's...and I think you know...I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'd want to put the widest street tires on the car. The front sees most of the braking and I like stopping on the street. Too many crazies in the city.

the real Bruce Dickenson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't throw too much stuff at me, but... :-X

I had a '79 Duster (Volare) as a driver outta high school. I usta run the 165's (back then they were like $20, ahh the Nineties) on the front of the car, with 235's or '45's out back on the Cragar Drag wheels (5 spoke star looking things). Even though the car was a Slant, it was a bi*ch to stop, the fronts would slide really easily. Now, there's WAYYYY to much traffic around here to even consider it.

It looks bitchen, really it does, but I hope you have really good brakes.

Jay

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had 70 cuda with a crate 360 and a keisler 5 speed with a 165 up front and 295 out back and had a adjustable proportioning valve which is what I plan on doing to the dart. I never had any issue with the narrow tires up front and never skid so I am not worried about that aspect of it just the "drag" tire on the street.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been running the Mickey Thompson ET fronts for a couple of years now. I use them for street and strip, but street time is fairly minimal. The only problem that I have is that they get a flat spot pretty quickly from sitting. I need to keep the front of the car on jack stands or else suffer with front end vibration for a few miles until they heat up and round out again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another complaint I have with running drag skinnys is the race tires really arnt made for the street. You have the issue of braking, but my problem was turning on the asphalt. The goodyears I have would slide and the car would plow through slow turns. It wasnt much fun. Though they do look mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts