Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anybody has done this or has pics of an a-body with out the drip rails. i know that the drip rail is where the roof skin is welded on. the part that i think there is going to be a sight issue is in the door jam because of the stainless steel trim that holds the door gasket on. i don't do many posts but i enjoy what all you guys have to say. any suggestions would be great. thanks joe

·
Registered
617 Posts
I dont have pics (yet) but I shaved them off my Demon couple months ago....it was sort of a pain. I cut 3 inch sections then welded, cut-weld,cut-weld,cut-weld and so on....The stainless roof rail trim will be an issue, my builder (Schroeder speed and custom) wants to cut it in half lengthwise so it will not be seen but I havent decided. o[

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help. i think mike r's car looks really good with out the drip rail.

rjsjea, let me know how spliting the trim piece works out sounds like that is a good idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Havent done drip rails but it is the same concept as the top lip on the quarters on a 66 charger I done for a friend, just cut and weld small sections at a time to keep from warping the metal then take a small grinder or DA and finish the metal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go find a pic of Butch Leals Pro Stock car. That car also had Ebody door handles. That car was bad ass.

·
Registered
76 Posts
G

·
One of the cool things about this modification is that most people don't even notice, it's something that just looks right when it's finished. For the weather stripping I used an adhesive tape (used for trim on newer cars) purchased from a paint supply shop, it holds really well but I have had a problem with the top forward corner, the rubber doesn't want to stay tucked into the corner. I'm planning to go to a local street rod shop to find out what they do in this situation, maybe there is a different type of weather stripping. I don't know that it's a big deal but it doesn't look "perfect" in that 1" x 1" area.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey guys I am thinking of shaving my drip rails on My car (68 dart). It already has shaved door handles. And in the process of shaving the gas cap. Any way what I want to know is, what size of gap are you left with, that has to be welded when the rail is cut off. Thanks Darren

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mike what did you use to cut the rail with? If you used a sawsall did you cut from the top or bottom of rail. I also have a plazma cutter but I think it will produce to much heat. And one more thing you cut flush with the roof line leaving no lip correct? Thanks Darren

G

·
I used a grinder to cut the drip rail off, and left no lip. I just took it slow.

Don't forget about the weatherstripping issues.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I used a cut off wheel.....almost no gap after I took off each section

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will be starting on the rail removal tommorow. I will try to get some pics tommrow nigt. Thanks for the help. Darren

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darren, not sure if you got my message. No i haven't shaved the rails yet. I'm still trying to figure out the weatherstrip issues. I think I might slit the original stainless weatherstrip retainer slide it back and use a body weatherstrip from a newer car. Basically using the stainless as pinchweld. i will try to post pics when i start this project.

·
Registered
261 Posts
nu skool dart I did mine this weekend looks pretty good, lots of work spent 4,5 hours each side. what year is car. Darren

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.