Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be adding a drive shaft loop to my ride in the very near future and I want to be sure I get the placement of this thing right.  "right" as in within normal NHRA/IHRA rule sets as well as being sure it'll work correctly should the need arise.  also known as the 'holy crap!  what the hell was that?' moment. o[

with that, how far back from the trans tail shaft is the mounting required to be effective?  Im thinking not more than a foot or two but dont honestly know.
also, any other suggestions you might have along these lines would be appreciated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
DRIVESHAFT LOOPS
QUESTION: From our mailbox - I have slicks on my car but it only goes 15 seconds for an ET. Do I need to have a driveshaft loop? What are the rules?
ANSWER: No Matter what the ET a loop is required if your car has slicks.
Rulebook says: 1/4"thick X 2"wide steel - must completely encircle the driveshaft
within 6 inches of the front U-joint and be attached to the floor with a minimum of
four 3/8" diameter bolts.

We have seen some pretty odd looking things under cars but this is where
the WORST are. Biggest problem: Inadequate size / thickness of
material. Second biggest : WRONG LOCATION. Rulebook says: 1/4 X 2
inches Steel - must completely encircle the driveshaft within 6 inches
of the front U-joint. Any 9.99 sec car must have a second loop at the rear.
No Matter what the ET a loop is required if your car has slicks.
FROM TECH INSPECTORS PAGE

·
Super Moderator
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh I know. there was a guy in line behind me in the tech line that I KNOW was going to fail tech on about 100 different things. not even mentioning the cracked windshield, zero muffler, bald tires he called 'slicks' and the total lack of anything resembling lights, signals and/or interior....the "loop" was a piece of wire (might even have been coat hangar or welding rod) and duct tape.

but in his favor...it was indeed a very light car. some ancient B210 toyota or the like.
LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts