Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company that has a disc brake conversion kit that uses your factory stock drum spindles. It is about half the cost of just about any other company's kits . First of all; are any of you familiar with "ECI Hot Rod Brakes" and are their products any good? And second of all; can I use something like RMS upper control arms with them? Or will I have to go to an upgraded spindle anyways to do that? I'm only scrimping on the brake conversion because I don't wanna have to use 1/4 of my budget for front brakes if i can help it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've seen this one pop up a couple times, you can do a quick search, just type in: disc brake conversion. I don't know if it's the same brand you are talking about though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Well; there's just no other way around it. I'll have to pony up the bucks and get a quality kit. (which I really shouldn't scrimp on stopping ability anyway) One question though. If I go with an SSBC kit; I noticed that it doesn't come with spindles. You use the stock 10 inch drum spindles. Does this mean that in order to upgrade to new control arms; (Like an RMS arm) I'll have to buy spindles that use the later model ball joints anyways? Sorry for the ignorant question; but I'm a beginner. :-[

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
I wouldn't buy a kit. If you really want the tubular uppers, buy them and then a pair of F/M/J spindles. Then buy new rotors, reman calipers, new pads,new master cylinder, and new hoses. Either swap the distributions block for a late a-body combination prop valve/dist block or buy an adjustable prop valve for the rear brakes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
128 Posts
When you say F/M/J Spindles, are you referring to Body types? I'm in the same boat, trying to find a way to upgrade 9" drums to Discs.. Spindles are hard to come by, non-existent here in the Philly area. Can you recommend a model (hopefully a late model, all my salvage yards have dumped anything older than 10 years), that would be likely fit?

Thanks.....

**(*)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the same boat. Local salvage yards only have post late 80s and up cars. I think maybe I'll go with the MP kit being that it is complete. (ie. control arms; spindles, master cylinder, etc.)

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Well, I got two sets of spindles today. I only got three upper control arms, though. One was bent a little (left that one behind). Another needs repair to one of the bushing holes, but I'd run it. I'll get them in my hot tank this evening, but they are for sale ($125/pair for spindles, $50 for a pair of control arms).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, wish I would have seen this before I bought my set. OK, so now have a set of 73' Duster Upper control Arms and Spindles. What mounting brackets and disc caliber do I need. Also I want to ensure that I upgrade to the 4.5" bolt pattern. The new Rear is already at 4.5". Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.