Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the new 5.7 Hemi or even better, the 6.1 Hemi, along with the new over-drive transmission fit the engine compartment of an 1966 Dodge Dart GT. I know I would have to go to an Altercation type K-Frame with Mustang 2 rack and pinion steering. I know it can be done to a 1967 Barracuda because I've seen one. I was hoping I could find someone with experience.
I have owned 3 1966 Dart GTs, one with a 440. My Son and I have restored 2 of the Darts as well as a 70 AAR Cuda and a few other Mopars.
We do have some experience with Mopar Restoration. Our current project is a 66 Dart GT, 273, 4 speed car, which we plan to bring up to date with a Disc Brake conversion, front and rear, a new 8 3/4 rear end with 3.91 gears and sure-grip. New leaf springs,torsion bars and polygraphite bushings through out.15"x7" ralley wheels on all 4 corners with rubber to match.TTi headers and complete exhaust system .
All this along with the normal cosmetics done on a restoration will keep us busy for a few years so the Hemi transplant is a few years away. This being said I am sure you realize we are on a budget. The good side of this is we can take our time and do it right. In the meanwhile, we can learn what we need to know on doing the Hemi. Any help or thoughts on this project would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
Raptor426 BBD

G

·
Way to go! I am glad to see more people restoring the early a bodies. If you had a 440 in a 66 then you know the dilemma with headers. Although once the T-bars are out of the way it opens up a lot more room.
The trans tunnel is also cramped on the early a's, may have to fab a new one. Good luck! o----o<>

·
Registered
47 Posts
doing this swap myself for my 64 dart convertible. yes it fits, very close though. im posting pics off bills site that show a 5.7 truck hemi in a early dart. i dont kow if you "need" the alterktation if you just want to go with exhaust manifolds, but i wanted to update my front suspension so i went with the alterktion. im not ready for the engine yet either, but ill get there. you can see by the pics the passegnerside is very close. bill said it would be wise to notch the fenderwell in this area, otherwise youd have to pull your engine up every time you had to take off a valve cover. one thing, truck hemis are different up front then the cars hemis. the car hemis have the A/C and Alternator mounted low. so if you use the car hemi, you will A) have to porbably notch that flat flange area that leads to the raditor support or B) have to modify where your alternator is mounted (move it up).

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and the photos. I am happy to see that the new Hemi fits. Anyway there are minor mods. needed, it seems fairly straight forward to me. This is gonna make one hell of a car! I wish I could go out in the shop and work til its finished. I think I need to start buying Lottery Tickets again. Anyway, thanks again and anymore photos or suggestions would be appreciated.  

·
Registered
47 Posts
if your going to be keeping your hemi fuel injected (which i am), your gonna need a good gas tank set up. Rick at ricks Hot Rod shop makes fuel tanks with the pump mounted inside the tank. i havent bought one yet (not ready), but rick will reply to your emailed questions. but i can tell you this, this tank will go into the stock tanks location. heres some pics of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts