Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching alternative brake options for Mopar Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes and found a few references to the interchangeability of the early Mustang (65-67) disc brakes.  The Mustangs seemed to have used the same disc brake hub and rotor assembly from 65 to 67.   As for calipers, there was one for the 65-66 Mustangs and another for the 67s.

I see that the Slant Six Brakes & Suspension Board had a topic on the comparison of the two calipers.  On the For A-Bodies Only brake board, someone reported that the Mustang GT hub & rotor bolt onto the K-H spindle.

Has anyone had any experience using early Mustang disc brake components in place of the the K-H components?

Frank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say the offset is different, do you mean the position of the rotor relative to the hub? My understanding is that the hub register (the diameter of the part of the hub the goes through the center hole of the wheel) is the main difference between the Mustang and the Mopar.

As for the calipers, you seem to be confirming the posting on the Slant Six board. Does that mean that the Mustang caliper will fit onto the Mopar spindle and rotor? If the inlet hole is the main difference between the Mustang caliper and the Mopar, I would expect that a hose could be fabricated to fit properly.

·
Registered
759 Posts
May I ask a question..?

Why go through the trouble of researching for the Mustang set-up..?

I got brand new calipers for the retrofit 1973 Duster disk brake set up on my '68 Dart for $20.00 per side..and they work great.

Are the Mustang units less expensive or lighter weight..?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot people really like their K-H disc brakes but replacement parts like rotors and calipers are no longer available new.  Changing to the 73-76 slider brake system like you did is more cost effective than trying to find NOS (or even just good) K-H parts.  I'm just trying to find an economical alternative source of parts.  Remanufactured calipers are available for a 1965 Mustang through NAPA for $124 (+ $33 core).  NAPA lists a Mustang unicast hub & rotor assembly for $129.

I just checked the NAPA online, and found that the Mopar and Mustang disc brakes have similarities.  Both the Mopar K-H disc brake (and 10" drum brakes) and Mustang disc brakes use inner bearing NAPA PGBPBR6.  Both disc brakes (and the 10" drum brakes) use outer bearing NAPA PGBPBR2.  However, the K-H disc brakes use seal NAPA NOS17110 whereas the Mustang disc brakes use seal NAPA NOS19219.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts