Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just posted a similar inquiry in the drivetrain sector, but I would like to know if anyone would ( or would not ) recommend the edelbrock performer package for a 1973-74 318 in my '64 Dart GT. I have a factory four speed and an 8 3/4" rear from a 66 Barracuda Formula S. The compression is good, so I just want to freshen up the top end. I plan to install spitfire headers that I've already ordered, and have the heads rebuilt with larger valves. I am additionally planning to purchase the edelbrock performer cam/lifters, intake and carb from Jeg's. Does anyone have any input as far as either performance or reliability are concerned?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Any upgrade of manifold, and valvetrain is going to be a help. But you aren't going to see huge amounts of horsepower gains. You may see better mileage and a slight gain and the motor will definetly breath better. The 318's just don't have the heads and bottom end to produce tons of power like a 360 or 340 does. If it were me, I would go ahead and do what you were going to do, you won't regret making it breathe better and seeing good driveability.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked the question(s) months ago, and after lots of planning, and some backordered parts, I'm getting my 318 back together.

I kept the stock bottom end, but will be installing a windage tray, Comp Cam # ...222-3, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Manifold, 600 CFM Carb, MSD 6AL, High output coil, and a few other goodies. I hope to get it running soon...

·
Registered
30 Posts
dunno if this helps but a few years ago i put the edlebrock torquer II intake with a 850 cfm carb on my old truck and it was an amazing improvement it was a 63 chevy C-20 with a new 350
i would think you would notice a change with a 318 im planning on doing the same on my 318 so please let me know how it works out!

·
Registered
36 Posts
urchinhead said:
I asked the question(s) months ago, and after lots of planning, and some backordered parts, I'm getting my 318 back together.

I kept the stock bottom end, but will be installing a windage tray, Comp Cam # ...222-3, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Manifold, 600 CFM Carb, MSD 6AL, High output coil, and a few other goodies. I hope to get it running soon...
Do yourself a favor and install some junkyard 302 casting heads, huge improvement over the old 318 heads. All the rest of your stuff will bolt right up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pishta - I bought a set of "..302"s from Aerohead racing a couple of months ago

Fasttcars - Yes, I got the cam, it just took two months to get. On the other hand, the Spitfire headers took 5. I'm hoping to finish what is now going to be an entire engine build this summer, but now the car has also turned into a complete build, and I've got the engine on a stand, the transmission on the floor, and I just bought a paint gun and a gallon of epoxy paint. dstrmtrinstall

·
Registered
111 Posts
Aint it great how what started out to be a quickie engine top side rebuild,
or (in my case) a seat swap, turns into a LIFESTYLE???
boom[]

BC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts