Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright... I searched but did not find... now... buddy of mine has a 1967 Fastback Barracusa and wants to put on new rims and tires... what is the largest sizes you can go without rubbing ?

Ive heard this....

Front: 15x7 wheels with 235/60/15
Rear: 15x7 wheels with 255/60/15

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm well would i run into any problems with the wheels and tires listed ? they have 4.25" BS i believe (wheel vintiques 61 series mopar rally wheel)

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
235-60-15's won't fit the front without a slight trim of the wheel opening (at least on a Dart and I don't thinkn there's any difference in that area on the Barracuda).

Not that it matters, but I wouldn't buy anything from Wheel Vintiques. Their customer service is non-existent. We tried to get some service as walk-in customers and that was very frustrating.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rolling_thunder said:
hmmmm    well would i run into any problems with the wheels and tires listed ?  they have 4.25" BS i believe (wheel vintiques 61 series mopar rally wheel)

4.25 should be ok. 4.5" would be perfect. My 4-7/8" were a little to deep and were very close to the springs but never rubbed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not positive that this applies to a 67 but...

This is what I’ve got:
71 Scamp w/73 Dart K-Frame, UCA/LCA, Schumacher mounts and a 383/727
11.75” Cordoba Rotors with Porsche 4 piston Calipers
B-Body rear narrowed w Moser axles and MP spring relocation kit (not in Frame only.8”)
Mustang Cobra 11.69” rotors and calipers on the rear.
17” x 8” x 12mm KMC Hot Wheels 68 with 255/40x17 Pirelli P Zero on the front
17” x 9” x 24mm KMC Hot Wheels 68 with 275/40x17 Pirelli P Zero on the rear
There is NO room for any more tire but then that’s the idea. Isn’t it? :>)
Note: There are no spacers on either front or rear and I had custom centering rings CNC machined so that they are hub-centric.
These wheels are only available at Discount Tire http://www.discounttire.com
These are the same wheels Rick Ehrenberg used on the Bold Beeper. I’m think he used 0mm offset all around. Note: The 17x8x12mm offset do not show up on the website but they are available! Make the counter guys check stock. Lucky for me my son works at Discount and he searched and found them. These are great looking wheels for the price.

I have pics but I cannot insert them until I have 10 posts (this is #9).

·
Registered
971 Posts
68 Dart, Cop car wheels 215/60R15's Front 245/60r15's rear (slight rubbing had to alter offset 1/4") on one side. On my 69 Barracuda I had 265/50R15's in the rear 205/60R15's front no body mods.
Your best bet is to measure out what you have vs what you want. Lots of places will change the offset of your wheels for cheap and give you the exact fit you need for what you want. Some will even custom make them for you and your needs. Wheel vintiques and Stanton wheel will charge you lots of green tossmoney for being on a waiting list. Don't do it! The little guys are much hungrier than they are and you'll get your stuff alot faster via them. I took my local guy a Wheel vintiques rallye wheel and had him move the offset a bit. He did it for $25 and he didn't even fry the powder coating on the visible side. The back side, where the actual welding took place obviously suffered from the heat. But, to get 15x8's under an stock suspension Dart, is wll worth it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pics of these:
17” x 9” x 24mm KMC Hot Wheels 68 with 275/40x17 Pirelli P Zero on the rear of a 1971 SCAMP, springs moved in .8".

They do NOT rub!

·
Registered
15 Posts
where did you get the offset hangers?

·
Registered
62 Posts
natecr said:
where did you get the offset hangers?
They are the Mopar Performance parts. I dont remember where I bought them but Summit them.

Mopar Performance P4120075 = $79.95
Shackles, Offset, 0.80 in. Wider, for Use with Offset Front Hangers, Dodge/Plymouth, Kit

Mopar Performance P4120077 = $149.95
Spring Hangers, 2.5 in. Wide Spring, Dodge/Plymouth, Dart/Barracuda/Duster/Scamp/Valiant, Pair
I drilled another hole 1" (nut grinding required!) above the existing one and welded on a matching nut.
This enabled me to drop my car another inc. With the dearch It came out pretty nice.

You will also need to cut off your existing perches and weld new ones on.
Mopar Performance P4120074 = $12.88
Leaf Spring Perches, Steel, 3 in. Diameter Axle Housing, 2 1/2 in. Width, Universal, Pair
Watch out for these, some have 5/8" center hole and most spring bolt heads are 1/2"
So either plan on bushings (the ends of small steel pipe nipples work) or new bolts with larger heads.
The spring shop that dearched my SS springs used old cadillac bolts which worked fine.

This is not trivial work. I located and tacked my perches and had them welded by an axle shop.
Their welder was MUCH larger than mine!
I did it on a stripped housing, which was a good thing because there was slag on the inside. I suspect my gears wouldn't have appreciated it!

Pics included (they came from Summit)

P.S. A stock exhaust system will not work with these mods. I just picked my Scamp up from the exhaust shop today and the prefab set that I bought is still in the trunk!!! Another attempt to save money foiled! But, it sounds so NICE! -o

1 - 11 of 11 Posts