Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my fiberglass fenders and hood to make them fit and look nice when painted. The hood is not very straight on the top. It is made by AAR, a bolt on hood. There are low spots found when I lightly sanded the jell coat. What can i use to fill these low spots? Car bondo or fiderglass ? I can see it will need more sanding. In one spot I will have to go through the jell coat, just to get it level next to the low spot. Any help from you bodyman. Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You could use body filler but depending on the depth of the low spot,but seeing how it is fiberglass it has alot of flex and personally i wouldn't use it.You could always use a fiberglass reinforced filler like mar-glass,tiger hair, gorilla hair,etc.etc.Of course fiberglass would be optimal and your best option.Alot of it has to do with how low is low.Fiberglass might be alot of haggle for the little spot.If it's maybe a 1/16 low spot i would probably go for a light skim on the reinforced filler.Maybe you can longboard the hood and get everything to level?(doesen't sound like it.).I'm sure some other guys will chime in with other ideas.Good luck

carl

·
Registered
114 Posts
It depends on how bad it is and how picky you are lol. If it is bad, you can skim it with filler. If it is not too bad spray it with sprayfiller(polyester sprayable putty) and longboard the hell out of it. Try not to sand through too much of the gell coat because you may find some nasty pin holes. Good luck, Troy

G

·
i bought a hood that had a big scoop on it but wanted a cowl scoop,spent a long time trying to make it look good.i would try and long board it flat a possible first,you might break thru the gel-coat, but you can put a thin coat of it back on. remember the more glass ,filler ,gel-coat you put on the heavier its going to get. i also made the mistake of baking my hood after i painted it BIG NO NO it will show all your work .. most people dont see it but i do..... brrrrrt

G

·
if it's really deep skim coat it with filler. otherwise spray it with fill primer, then long board aka block sand it to get it straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts