Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! This an hours worth of using a 3M pad with a drill motor. Is there a better/faster way to prepare the engine compartment for primer? (I can't transport it outside as I'm removing the front suspension for partial replacement, and I've already used the oven degreaser method to get rid of most of the gunk.)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
847 Posts
Jim_Lusk said:
Make up some casters for the front end so you can roll it around. You either need to use a chemical stripper or blast it. I'd remove the k-member and the rest of the stuff from teh firewall, too.
[]{}......great minds think alike...... id lean toward blasting it. cover the cowl opening, getting the sand out is a pain in the fullmoon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do ya think one of those portable "Harbour Freight" blasters would do the job; rather than hauling the car down to a pro blaster? I was thinkin of buying one anyways

·
Registered
847 Posts
im spoiled by my "industrial, gas powered set up" it would knock your under hood area out in minutes. the small pot u mention would require a little patience, and a kick-ass air supply; but it would be far better than what you are attempting now. if its your only project, and you know a local blaster; thats the way to go. id do the door jambs at the same time every thing except the exterior skins. do those chemically. 3M "clean and strip" discs on a die grinder works nicely after the stripper. i can get you a picture of them and a part number if you need it. prime everything with a good sandable epoxy. scratch the "smooth" metal with 80 or 100 by hand before priming. didnt we have this conversation? happy to help. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
847 Posts
one more thing.........remove any undercoating before blasting. that stuff is a bitch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have an air compressor? if you do get a die grinder and the 3m rolock pads. its scotchbrite on testosterone. theres a flat pad and then theres a round one kinda like a wire wheel. kicks but and will get into the crooks and nannies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm doing the same thing right now.i tried a bunch of things.i used aircraft stripper before the discs.my compressor takes forever to fill and i'm always waiting on it,so with the stripper i can use an electric drill and small wire wheel to stip it down much faster.then i'm gonna paint por 15 on with a brush after prepping the metal,it's self leveling and protects the metal.looks good too.here's a before,i'll try to post a current and after pic. soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts