Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this new product in MCG, pulled up the site to check it out. Eliminates power steering pump, fluid, belt, etc... Not that I had any intent on using it but, $5000-$6200 depending on which type. :eek: :eek: :eek:

www.flamingriver.com

G

·
haha drive through a puddle and it shorts out sending you into the weeds,but actually fly by wire is the future for alot of stuff,this is just the beginning.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the ford focus and some volvos use an electric power steering pump. I would trust that alot more than a complete electric steering.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Toyota was using an electric power assist on the MR2 in the early 90's. Theirs was still a hydraulic system though. I don't think I would be interested in this fly by wire system even if I could afford it.

G

·
There's really nothing remote about it. The mechanical connection goes straight through it, and the power assist is just electric. F1 cars have used for a while now because of the small size. I want to try one on a project this winter....if I can find a way to scrape up the cabbage for it. It will be under the dash, so new pedal brackets have to be made. In a mopar at least, I see no way to mount it under the hood - although small, the steering shaft area is already cramped, so there's no where to put it and still have exhaust...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Everyone must have seen this in MCG at the same time; there is a thread about it on almost every board... ;D It's very cool, but that price is hardcore; I'd like to see a car with it installed up close, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The new Vw's have electric assisted steering. The electric motor is built into the steering rack. Very compact unit, however trying to adapt the control unit to an older car would be quite the project.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Several newer model GM cars use an electric unit under the dash.

We've actually had them come into our shop with the steering wheel going back and forth by itself.

Kind of makes me nervous to say the least. Though part of that is just probably GMs quality control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts