Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tom, saw you nice welding on your frame connectors a while ago. How did you handle the the area where the factory rear rail laps onto the floor pan? I want to run the 2" verticals of the rectangular tubing right into the new relocated hangers in the rear frame and cut them into the floor as you did. Do you have any pics or suggestions? Thanks, Terry.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'll take a bunch of pics of the underside for you when I get home at 5 pm PST. I did notch the rear frame flange where it ties into the body. I stopped 3/4" from the vertical step in the body in front of the rear seat.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom ! I really appreciate the extra photos. Terry

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

outer left side front of torque box

outer right side front of torque box

outer left side. Spring box butts up to steel where old spring hanger box was mounted. I had a gap of 1/4" between the new hanger box and the end of the sub frame connector. I filled in this space with weld tying the connector to sub frame and then to the hanger.

same thing but inner right side.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I hope the torque box pics don't confuse you. If you need pics of the front torsion bar mounts let me know. Also, several people have installed their frame connectors in different ways with success.

Also, weld washers outside of the front boxes for eye bolt hole reinforcement. I haven't done that yet.

Thanks for the knowlege BBD.

Tom

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job Tom! The torque box pics aren't confusing, I know whats behind there. It is great to see pictures like yours before starting a procedure like this. Once again, I really appreciate the time you took to take the pictures. I know the effort behind it. This board has been a great resource for my project because of members like you! tnku Terry

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think that the rectangular tubing ones like you see here are. These were homemade. I was inquiring at Mag HP on the laser cut A-body ones that match the floor pan but, I think they are still un-available at this time. I am doing mine just like Tom's.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Tom, nice work. Looks very similar to what I did with my car. I also slotted the floors for the frame connectors. The torque boxes are a nice addition, what gauge steel is that for your boxes? I agree on the washers too. I had to adjust my bolt locations, so I needed to use the washers anyway. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Crazy68Dart said:
Tom, nice work. Looks very similar to what I did with my car. I also slotted the floors for the frame connectors. The torque boxes are a nice addition, what gauge steel is that for your boxes? I agree on the washers too. I had to adjust my bolt locations, so I needed to use the washers anyway. Cheap insurance.
I made the torque boxes out of 16 ga. cold rolled steel. The pics are in my photo album.

I have had 20 pm's on this topic requesting the front connections also. I will get these posted. Remember I got this idea from the tech pages. Thanks Bill. -0*(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Per popular request. I wasn't able to run uphill welds. It was too tight under the car. So I just ran a few dosnhill stringers. I also ground the bottom smooth for appearance; probably 4 stringers on the bottom; no real reason just having fun with the grinder.

Good Luck

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts